Oil & Water Restoration Thread

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oil&water
Moderate User

Re: Oil & Water Restoration Thread

Post by oil&water »

Barrie wrote:Wow! great progress.

Thanks Barrie. Unfortunately I think the ripout will be the easiest part. Fixing everything is going to suck!
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

oil&water wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Stopped by today by I guess you had gone to lunch
If it was between 1:30 and 3:15, yes, we were fortunate to get everyone together for a quick feast. Otherwise we were there most of the day.
Around 3 , 2 guys working on the boat next to you(Carver ?) said you went to eat
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Update time!

Feeling much better about the 120VAC / Shore power situation on the boat. I have unplugged and cut out extensions cords from every which direction. I plan on replacing all receptacles since 43 years in a corrosive environment is tough on them. The Romex lines have checked out okay during tracing. I have one to remove or retrofit on the flybridge, some cables to tie up, and some MN connectors to install on the electrical main bus, but things are looking up on the electrical home front.

Hatches didn't progress as far as I was hoping this weekend. The core rot has affected my installation. I spent the day digging out muck from around the bunk stateroom hatch. We will replace the core sometime between now and next weekend

The rest of the teak deck has been removed. Since the new deck infrastructure starts soon, I am going to concentrate on the deck area and getting all items tucked away before losing the ability to move freely.

Last edited by oil&water on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:
oil&water wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Stopped by today by I guess you had gone to lunch
If it was between 1:30 and 3:15, yes, we were fortunate to get everyone together for a quick feast. Otherwise we were there most of the day.
Around 3 , 2 guys working on the boat next to you(Carver ?) said you went to eat

Well darn, sorry I missed you. Maybe next weekend. Feel free to call me when you start moseying that way. At least you were able to see all the carnage that we had to carry to the dumpster this evening.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

When you said romex, I was sure you were mistaken. However, zooming in on the terminal straps shows solid wire. That's not factory, is it? Are you sure that you don't want to replace that with boat cable???
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote:When you said romex, I was sure you were mistaken. However, zooming in on the terminal straps shows solid wire. That's not factory, is it? Are you sure that you don't want to replace that with boat cable???
Good eye , That yellow cable is not marine for sure .
Edit:
As are the main cables coming in I missed that first look .
Last edited by prowlersfish on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

I agree with the two above..( solid copper ).....if previous owner had a house electrician do any rewire you may have some serious issues with the neutral ,ground and bonding wiring. I think it would be wise to have a marine electrician have a look at that to be safe for you and your family.....sorry man but that is what I see and can not in good conscience ignore......Mike
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

I appreciate the concern. Most of that is factory wiring. The stuff that isn't Romex, the gauge stuff, isn't factory and was installed in '95 with the new Genset. It wasn't until the later 70's that standards started to change regarding boat wiring. I've ripped out three boats worth of Romex to update and replace with stranded marine cable. The same will eventually be done here. I'm just happy to know that I've got some time before I have to immediately tackle it.

I work with electronics and electrical systems for my day job. That stuff doesn't scare me unless it is a mess already. I can definitely show y'all a couple of boats... and buildings that scare the hell out of me.

I've already started my list for upgrades. New Blue Seas AC Distribution Panel, more circuits onboard with new wiring for all onboard circuits. We boat in salt, brackish, and fresh water so I also want to install an ELCI on top of the GFCI circuits. I haven't gotten fully up to speed on the ELCI's and I had read late last year that a modified version that has less nuisance trips is on the close horizon.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Most of the wiring that is original looks to be the right stuff . Its the added/replaced stuff that's at issue . Trojan used the right stuff back then .

A blue sea panel would be sweet but $$$ that's why I still have the same Panel as you do . With some added breakers/circuits I added .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Our F36 has Romex on all the distribution circuits and I suspect it is original. Everything I can see up to the mains is wired with stranded, but that is about all. We actually have two metal panel boxes with Masonite covers on ours:
AC Panel.jpg
AC Panel.jpg (167.38 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
Like oilandwater, a new distribution panel and wiring is on the horizon, just not sure when.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

What is your definition of Romex ? The question is to 2 of you . Not a test lol

Making sure we are on the same page
Last edited by prowlersfish on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:What is your definition of Romex ? The question is to 2 of you . Not a test lol

Making sure we are on the same page
Romex is actually a brand name of what is generally referred to as solid copper wires, usually two and a ground or three and a ground, bound together in a PVC jacket.

ABYC calls for stranded copper (and usually tinned) wire due to the extreme vibration that boats experience. When solid copper is stressed it has a tendency to snap at any point that it is scored. Usually those points are where it is stripped to enter breakers or outlets. Same holds true for where it is compressed and can shake back and forth causing macro fractures that eventually cause high resistance fires due to heat buildup.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

WayWeGo wrote:Our F36 has Romex on all the distribution circuits and I suspect it is original. Everything I can see up to the mains is wired with stranded, but that is about all. We actually have two metal panel boxes with Masonite covers on ours:
AC Panel.jpg
Like oilandwater, a new distribution panel and wiring is on the horizon, just not sure when.
Way, ouch, that must have hurt opening up those panels.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Good to hear that new wire is on the horizon. You will want to get acquainted with Www.bestboatwire.com if you are not already.

Re: romex-- what he said.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Kind of strange how how the 73 and 77 are close to the same and the 75 is different . I guess one of the panels on way we goes 75 may have been added maybe by the dealer maybe the factory ?? I saw a early F36 that had 2 panels one on each side , as were the cords .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels