help installing windlass in f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lottanerv

help installing windlass in f32

Post by lottanerv »

I plan on installing a Maxwell 600 windlass on my f32 without a pulpit. It seems that to center it above the rope locker would place it in front of the two cleats on the bow. This seems too close to the tip of the bow.
Any suggestions on which anchor and anchor roller to use would be appreciated. I have planned on using a Delta anchor. Seems like it would look and fit better on the bow.

Would love to hear from someone who has done this job without a bow pulpit.

Thanks
Lottanerv
Boaitng is escape
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Mine, with a bow pulpit already had one when I got her.
But...whatever you do, be sure to seal any exposed area of the deck! Any water intrusion here, will surely rot the deck in no time. I would also recommend that the windlass you get have a free-fall feature. Mine sucks. Nothing like waiting forever for the anchor to get down to bottom while powering down...

Just flipping through April's issue of Power and Motoryacht, they had an article which shows the step by step procedure. Here is the link and picture sequence for you. It'll give you an idea. You'll do fine, take your time and let us know how you make out.

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/electric%2Dwindlass/
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Windlass location

Post by JuiceClark »

I wish I had a closer-up picture...but this is the best I could find. My old Good Windlass keeps on kickin'. I actually like it and haven't had any problems.
The rode goes down into the windlass about 4" or so from the front of the windlass. So, there really isn't much room there from the bow. Hope these help:

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Also: As you can see from my 32, the cleats are further apart. Probably because I have the pulpit. Here is a pic of my set-up. You will need to install a pulpit chute and roller set-up for yours.

BTW: The "Good" windlass Tony speaks of, is pretty much bullet-proof!

obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

That model "Good" works well, but doesn't handle chain.

I bought a Lewmar FF1000 two years ago. The rode was constantly jamming in the mechanism. I gave up on it after two years and switched to the stainless Pro Series power down model. which has worked flawlessly.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

obeejr the windlass that you had trouble with is the same as the one you have now other then being free fall ? am i correct ? what toroble did you have as i am looking for a wndlass that is free fall and takes chain (wish my Good took chain )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D