THE ODYSSEY TO NEW YORK or The trooper with the ruller

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

GARYGA

THE ODYSSEY TO NEW YORK or The trooper with the ruller

Post by GARYGA »

Well it took 6 days, 2 camp grounds, 2 truck stop sleep overs, 1 hotel and one night in an empty parking lot. 2486 miles. ten states with overwide/hight permits, 1 permit company. (arete in pa, no recomendation from, me for him.) 2 major arguments with the two friends that came with me and two state trooper pull overs. Both troopers were angry with me. One of them kept pulling his ruller slide in and out and was going to mesure my boat but decided not to. because i would have had to help him with that. at least 30 bridges, with me thinking i was going to hit every one of them. O what stress that was. the last bridge by my home in hampton bays , i literally cleared with only 2 inches to spare, no kidding. you see i never took the flybridge off but instead only took off the windshield. 1 bent rudder and dirt into the gel like you cant imagine.

Because of all the above i was a bit depressed or down for the past 3 days, trying to get her into shape before putting her into the peconic but im back to normal now fixing things , 1 at a time. slowly but shorely I will make it into the water and then i will be very happy.

This was truly a big event for me but i did make it and i am greatful about that. by the way did i mention that i towed this 14980 lbs with my 2500 dodge ram deisel, which was actually more then specs allow and it did absolutly wonderful. fuel was about 8 to 9 miles a gallon the whole trip. but with out any problems on the truck end, but i did get a flat on my trailor and boat us had some one come and fix me up within 1 hour. i paid extra for towing ins. it paid off.

at this point im anti fouling the bottom, resealing window leaks, resealing rudders and prop shafts, putting the windshield and upper helm back together and at some point will try and figure why i cant get anything but weather on my new ship radio ????

ok so the question might be, would i ever tow anything this big for that long of a trip again? NO but im glad that i did and i did prove that it could be done. I have no regrets about the towing experience..
but once may indeed prove to be enough. thanks for being their

Gary Ga
1981 trojan f308
IN THE HAMPTONS
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

What an epic adventure! I bought and moved one once 300mi, and paid a hauler to do it. That was enough stress for me. Kudo's to you.
You are now a legend among friends here.... :)
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Thanks for updating us on your journey! I'm stressed just from reading it! :D Just kidding...

Good to hear you and the boat are safe and sound. In no time at all, you'll be sipping a cold beverage..or two on the boat looking back at it all! :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Wow, Ive though of doing that but not sure if I have the guts.....Kudos.

Got any pictures of the whole travel rig?
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Great job Captain, now that is a trip to remember.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
JuiceClark
Moderate User

danged fuzz

Post by JuiceClark »

Sounds like those cops are related to the "Manatee Patrol" commies down here. They're always mad and trying to intimidate. The trip was something you had to do and you managed to "get 'er done!" So, you're gonna have a great boating season.

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36

p.s. Don't worry about the squabble with your buddies...they'll be quick to forgive when you're headed out on the water!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Bonding with your boat by Gary Ga

Please post some pix of your adventure.

RWS
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Jeff,

I understand your post ... I really do and for the most part, I agree.

But I do have a problem when normal folks get singled out for judgement calls that amount to opinions of perspective. Was towing this rig perfectly safe? Probably not... but what in life is? It doesn't make it right but we tend to subrogate these tasks for the false sense of security that comes from paying someone else to do it. I think that can be a mistake and more dangerous at times.

Case in point- Why do we allow municipalities to shuttle strangers kids around in school busses with no seatbelts yet get appalled when a parent does the same to their own child in their own volvo? Why do we allow Police to speed in non emergency situations? Do you believe big rigs on our highways are always following proper loadding, maintenance and driver off time intervals? Are you as troubled by that and if so, who have you written to about it?

I'm not condoning wreckless behavior but neither do I condone double standards. I've done my share of things that some people characterize as dangerous. Thankfully, I've never had a serious accident. But accidents do happen... both to the uber cautious and to the risk takers. But the risk takers, regardless of how many precautions they take, or even when the accident has nothing to do with the risk at hand, get ostersized.

I'm quite sure you contemplated your post and I respect that. And as I said, I generally agree with the sentiment. I just wish folks would be as consitently critical of all, or as consistently accepting.
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Jeff,
Dont feel bad about posting a reply with some constructive criticism, I did not see anything offensive at all. You could have used other terms or comments to voice your opinion that would not have been well received, but you didnt. (Thanks for that).

We all have opinoins, do things right, or wrong or push the limits sometimes. I just high fived my brother for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for the first time,,,,why??? Somthing bad could have happened, like land on someones dog :D .....

I do commend Gary on the DECISION to do somthing most of us would not do, just like my Full stringer replacement project I just got done with even though I never touched resin or fiberglass before this......... Most people think I m nuts, and others are expecting the boat to break her back in rough weather. But most people that see the repair mention it looked well executed.

Regarding the EXECUTION of Gary's task, I will try to refrain from too many comments because I do not have enough information. Just assumptions based on my knoweledge and what he wrote in the excitement to share. (bet he didnt expect all this)

But to garys defense (or the story at hand) from what I do know is the dodge 2500 with diesel should be atleast 13500 (to 15,500 with the Cummins) tow capacity, worst case this puts it into less than 9% overload, based on "pulling capacity" (we didnt ask about good trailer brakes for stopping, another assumption).

Side note: What WAS bad is the the chevy luv truck that aquired brake fade through a red light in front of me while towing a 26'boat........(That was numbnuts 10000lb boat - 3000lb towing capacity no trailer brakes??).

And regarding the rudder, been there done that, not because of loading issues but the truck breaking over a crown in a gas station parking lot when the trailer wheels were still in the curb lull off the street Tongue went up, butt went down, oops.....sorry honey no beach today.

Critisism is good when it takes the form of education, we all still have allot to learn.

I do agree with you when it comes to being cavalier when the safety of others are involved and there should be more accountability than what we see around us everyday. But I cant assume there was anything dangerous with this particular incident without seeing the rig and knowing more of the details.

So bottom line is Kudos to Gary for deciding to take on somthing that caused him to grow with experience (and somthing most of us would and probably should shy away from). I will have to trust he an eye on safety for himself and others.

And thank Gary for not changing the flat tire with a well placed 4x4 leveraged on a cinder block.........Seen that before too..... :lol:
Last edited by Mac32 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Jeff,

I totally understand and as I said, I generally agree with your sentiments.

I guess I represent the other end of the cautious spectrum in that I am perceived by many as willing to take more risks than most. What I see as relatively safe, many folks see as dangerous. From my point of view, that's a matter of relative perspective and if I could offer a sense of what it's like living on the other side (relative to blame and guilt), let me share a quick story.

I've always been into sports cars. I openly admit I enjoy speed and have raced (mostly on the track- but also on the street in my younger stupid years). To this day, I study driving technique, take driving courses and while I'm always learning- I'm a fairly acccomplished driver, on and off the track. I haven't had an at fault accident in over 20 years or speeding ticket in over 15. I also own a Porsche as a second vehicle, in which I have never had a single violation.

Now - I have two kids that matter more to me than anything. They both enjoy going for rides in the Porsche BUT, I get this guilt trip by those around me that if I should have an accident with the kids in that car, it WILL be my fault and the inferance is that I wouldn't be forgiven.

Think about this for a moment- What father in their right mind would want forgiveness (or life) after hurting their own childern doing something careless? No sane one would, and I'm no different. So when I take them in my Porsche, I drive much differently (slower) than I do in my SUV or Jetta BUT- I'm always actutely aware that this will make no difference IF God forbid, I should have an accident. Becuase of how people perceive my driving style and choice of vehicle, I am judged differently and let me tell you, it weighs quite heavy on me. Am I to supress what I'm comfortable with to avoid the potential for blame or guilt that may be unfounded?

On that same note, My son is now 13 and despite our best efforts at exposure, he's not into any sports (and we've made him try them all). His only 2 passions are drawing and racing Go Karts. We as a family have decided to let him pursue both interests but other than the other families at the track, we are shunned by many and made to feel like we are taking unnecessary risks with karting. We are guilted for our choices based on someone elses differing views about a choice we've made that seems less cautious than they're comfortable with. We understand Karting is not as safe as art...and we understand nothing in life is completely safe, but we all make life choices that fit with our definition of "living" life as opposed to just having life.

This is a constant source of anguish for both me and my wife and only now is she starting to understand what I've felt for years regarding being judged by others as being a risk taker. Beleive me, it's difficlult at times so I tend to be a little defensive when folks get criticiized for doing something another might feel is "unsafe".

I didn't take offense with your post- as I said, I respect it and I know you didn't post it lightly. I just hope this gives you a sense of how this can seem from the other side.
GARYGA

THE ODYSEY WHAT I LEARNED

Post by GARYGA »

Thanks for the thoughts both pro and pro.....
I did have six new electric brakes put on my trailor and also purchased (7) seven new carlyle tires rated for this load. I think i looked at evey site possible for the real towing capasity for my ram/desiel. almost every one of at least 7 or 8 different towing sites had a different rating. even dodge gave me different ratings, so i chose the one i wanted to use but never felt sure about it.

I did things, that I would not do again, meaning I took on more than I thought it would be. I felt i did all needed to be safe but in ending realize I could have done more. I.E. longer extended mirrors, and studiying my route better before leaving, even though i was roughted all the way.

by the way the rutter issue happened before i ever left, which i have confirmed with pictures taken before the trip. that i reviewed after the trip.

I really do appreciate the comments as they have been presented. I felt no offence and will also be looking into more safty in any of my future towings. I am very greatful for the blessing i recieved in, not hurtin "anyone" during my adventure. as for me now, I'm just trying to figure how to fix the other boat stuff I'm working on and get her into the water, or she will become a "big boat in a yard".... NOT

THANKS GARY GA
1981 trojan f308
IN THE HAMPTONS