Help needed for my family's 58'

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Kevin58seaqueen

Help needed for my family's 58'

Post by Kevin58seaqueen »

Hello all I'm new to this forum and excited to be apart of this community. I have recently acquired my grandfather's 1958 trojan Sea queen he bought off the showroom floor. Sad story is my father was in the middle of a rebuild and repair on the boat when he contracted limes disease and does not have the strength to work on it. That's where I come in to fix it. The biggest help I need is in knowing the species of wood I need to do the repair. As I child I was under the impression the boat was completely mahogany. It's not. So I have two plywood repairs I need to do on the side hulls. I'm planning on doing a scarf patch but I need to know if this is just marine plywood on the sides or what. I know that's an odd question but my grandfather stripped the boat of paint the first summer bottom painted it and then varnished the plywood above the . So there isn't going to be paint covering my repair because I want this to be as my grandfather maintained it. Thank you so much for the future help! I don't have any good pictures yet but it's also in sad condition so I might start the whole picture taking processes as I get her back to floating condition.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Help needed for my family's 58'

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like great project . would like to see photos
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard.

For that area, I can’t imagine anything other than marine ply being used. There are several types available though so that will be the challenge. Some species are not available anymore so getting as close a match on the grain and colour as you can will probably be the best you can expect. If you`re just doing a small section, it may stand out from the rest unless you try staining first. Not easy though as the finishing coats and the number of them will also have an impact on the final colour. Best to do a few different test pieces first.

We’ve seen it all so I wouldn’t be concerned about posting pics no matter the condition. It may also help someone else going through the same thing and you may get some better feedback in the process.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Kevin58seaqueen

Post by Kevin58seaqueen »

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help! I'll get pictures soon! The garage is crammed now that winter is here so I have to pick and choose my days to work on it by pulling the car out and moving the boat to the center and so on so forth but hopefully I'll be able to get pictures soon! Thanks guys