Blower Operation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jddens
Moderate User

Blower Operation

Post by jddens »

Due to high fuel costs, I expect to do more crusing at hull speed (about 8 knots) this season.....my concern is the amount of engine compartment ventilation I will get at this speed.......enough?? or should I run the blower continuously??...Thanks!!!
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Its a good idea. I turn them on a couple of minutes before fire'n the boys up and let'em run. After I shut the engines down, I let'em run another 2-3 minutes. For the piece of mind knowing that fumes are not building up in the bildge, its worth the cost of replacing them some day when you wear them out.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

I run mine continuously while the engine is running. The boat is 35 years old and I belive it's the original blower. I never had a problem with the blower. They last a long time. My guess is that in a salt water envirnonment, corrosion is more likely to cause an issue than running it longer.
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I run mine 3-5 minutes before starting and up to 1200 rpm (about 6 mph). At anything above I turn em off. Coming back into dock I turn em back on at 1200 and below and leave em on until I'm safely docked and the engine is shut down.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I run blowers only at slow speeds too. I also run them when on the hook with the generator running. When coming back to port, as soon as I hit the no-wake, they get turned on and sometimes I'll let them run for 10 minutes or so after shut down to help cool things down in the engine room and expell any possible fuel vapors.

When up on plane, there should be plenty of fresh air through the bilge via the vents to circulate and expell any possible fumes.

Also remember to turn them OFF while fueling up at the gas dock and shut all windows, hatches etc. Don't let folks stay on the boat either while fueling up. Running blowers while fueling up is dangerous as they may draw vapors from the nozzel and inlet into the bilge. As will any open windows or hatches. Do the sniff test, run blowers 4-5 minutes and resume your boating. Many people think they are suppose to run while fueling...could end in a big BANG! :(
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Thanks for the responses....at 8 knots I'm at about 1800-2000 RPM and NOT on plane........i don't think I get enough ventilation at that slow speed. I thnk I'll run the blowers most of the time at that speed. Anywhere above 12 knots I'll shut them down. I also run then coming and going from the marina. Thanks for the reminder Striperman about running the blower while fueling, I do exactly as you suggested..............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude