cold start problem

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Cindy

cold start problem

Post by Cindy »

Hey folks..Any help would be good...Mechanic too busy to look at boat at this time of year...Going out for a few days and trying to nurse things by until then...COLD START...Port side...Not sure if I am giving too much prime or not enough...Find that if I give one full prime on the throttle and then turn key the engine will start right up...BUT after 3-5 seconds later the rpm will start to drop to the point that you do not know if it is going to stall out or make a recovery and come back up..It usually hovers in this no mans land area for about 3 seconds and then usually does recover....Do you think I am giving it too much prime or not enough...Thanks
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

How 'bout a little more info. Engines, carb model, electronic igntion...? Thanks.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Chrysler 400's,carter carb,electonic ignition..1976 Trojan tricabin...Thanks
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Too Much Prime

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Sounds like too much primer on the start-up. Try to start it without moving the throttle. If you get the same situation then it is not related to the priming. Next would check or replace fuel filters. After that if you still have a problem at idle, I would check the anti-siphon valve at the top of your fuel tank where the fuel line connects. Sometimes that gets clogged with stuff and won't let fuel flow freely. If that does not solve the problem then check the fuel pump by switching with the other engine if the other engine does not have the same issue.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
Safari

Post by Safari »

Could be choke sticking little bit..........
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

I have to pump mine five or six times before starting and then I have to keep working the throttle up and down some as they warm up. I've had to do that on all my other boats also. Once they are warm just touch the key and they start great.