Bottom coating

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

randyp
Active User

Bottom coating

Post by randyp »

Hey all

I'm having the bottom redone on the mighty Blue Heron and this is first time for me. The marina where I get my service done is going to strip the old bottom paint (oh so much bottom paint) and then inspect the bottom for any blisters (which I have not found in all the time I've crawled around under the boat when blocked up). Then after a sanding they will coat with 2 coats epoxy followed by 2 coats bottom paint. Have any of you had this similar system done? Pros, cons, etc? I've seen their work on some friends' boats and it looks really good. Essentially, it seals the bottom permanently. Please let me know if you're familiar with this vs simply prepping and repainting the bottom.

Thanks!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If you have liltle or no blisters I would prep and paint. The epoxy job is a fix for when you have blisters . I have seen blisters coming back on boats with it . so its not perfect for sure . so if what you have in working why take a chance ? this is just my take on it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I was considering a similar job myself (my boat is a '79). When I talked to one of the guys at the marina (who has owned a dozen or more boats over the past 40 years, and spent 20 years working on wood and glass boats in the marina's service yard) his comment was : "If it doesn't have any blisters on it after 30 years, it's not likely to get them.". Sort of echo's prowlersfish comments - see what it looks like after the paint is off, then decide then if you really need the epoxy barrier coat.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"