10 Meter Stringer Progress and tip for 10 meter owners.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

10 Meter Stringer Progress and tip for 10 meter owners.

Post by yorklyn »

As some of you know I'm in the process of replacing the stringers in my 1987 10 meter. I've attached a link to my renovation album. I have the two starboard stringers replaced and will hopefully be replacing the two port ones this week. Decided to yank out the fuel tanks since the stringer was out of the way. had to cut out the fiberglass water tank to get good access to work.
If you have a 10 meter do yourself a favor and spend some time in the bilge looking for exposed wood. I found that trojan didn't glass under every single cross brace between stringers (the ones that support the gen and battery tray) as well as the lubber holes are not sealed up well, this left the wood from the stringers completly exposed. My stringers appeared to be in good shape with just a bit of delam here and there. After cutting them out I was amazed at the amount of rot that migrated through this exposed wood. If trojan had one man address these at the factory it would have taken a few extra hours and saved alot of work. I would strongly address covering up these areas to prevent or slow future damage. You may need an inspection mirror to find all of them.
Take a look at my pics (3pages) and you'll see its worth it.
Good Luck,
Todd

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... ger%20rot/
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

WOW!

What a daunting job! Tremendous amount of effort andhard work going into this.

Here's the interesting part, and the big surprise for me.

None of the production issues you mention above apply o my 1983 10 meter which is NOT A MIDCABIN MODEL.

Mine has a FULL LINER - Everything from the bulkhead that runs from the sliding door all the way aft is cvered with a FULL, SMOOTH FINISHED, GELCOATED FIBERGLASS LINER.

There are four stringers that run fwd/aft all the way to the transom.

They are about 4-6" wide and about 6-10" tall The size changes from the front to the back of the vessel.

The inboard pair are larger than the outboard pair

THEY ARE HOLLOW !

The engine mounts are thrubolted and we installed removable deck plates in the stringers to access the nuts.

From what I can see in your photos, there are a significant differencesin the construction of the vessels above the actual hull itself.

I had the cover off of my waste tank to reseal it. The waste tank lives between the stringers in the engine room. everything is GLASS!

When I get some time I'll upload the pix to my Photobucket. We have to compare notes!

I also have some photos with the wife helping !

Damn, what a job you have had.

Best of luck getting those fiberglass itchies ut of your skin!

RWS
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

I just sent you some pix taken during the refit.

RWS
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

RWS,
I'm surprised the construction differs that much. My stringers were/are constructed of two layers of 3/4 plywood. I have 10'4" from transom to the cabin bulkhead and 15'1" from the transom to the mainbulkhead in the salon. the two main stringers are around 19" tall and the two outer ones are around 12". I'm going to shorten the two outer stringers to around 9 inches and thicken them up some to allow me to remove and install the gas tanks with no cutting.
The water tank I cut out was "built like a TANK"!! But seriously it was really well constructed, nice gelcoat interior. It was a shame to destroy it but I didn't have a choice. It was bedded in a nasty half cured soft resin??? bed. It took a few hours to remove enough of it to properly bond the stringers. It was almost like they had a bad batch of material the had to get rid of.
I got the port stringer cut, fit and laminated tonight. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow it will be installed.
The funniest thing is that I'm really enjoying doing all this crap! I'm a pretty hands on guy but have never done any fiberglass work. I've hired a guy to help show me how to lay the glass properly but he's also teaching me. The only thing thats going to slow me down is my cashflow but I have alot of labor intensive low cost jobs to do. I'll keep posting pics to make all you guys feel better about your boats!!!
Take Care,
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

RWS,
Your pics didn't come through. Please try to resend them as I'd love to see them.
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

10 meter stringer template

Post by yorklyn »

If anyone is going to replace stringers in a 10 meter aft cabin, I made a template for mine which fit both the port and starboard sides of my boat. I don't know if it would be an exact fit but it saves alot of time to have a starting point. If anyone needs it let me know.

Thanks,
Todd

PS.
If anyone is trying to figure out ANYTHING on a aft cabin, just ask me. I've learned alot tearing mine apart and may be able to help.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

Resent pix with return receipt requested to the e-mail address listed on this site.

RWS
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

It should be the correct one tpote@verizon.net
Thanks,
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

I recently bought a 1987 10 meter 330 express and have found my boat to be as RWS described. the stringers are all smooth, gelcoated over, with as nice as a finish in the bilge as the outside visible hull. I have heard there is no wood in the stringers. RWS, are they really hollow, with nothing to rot inside them? After reading the title of YORKLYN's topic I got a sick feeling in my stomach about my new purchase, but felt better after reading RWS reply.

YORKLYN, you'll have as good as new boat when finished and you'll know it was done right! Nice work.
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Wow what a lot of work. I recently bought the mid cabin model and I am surpised at the difference in construction.

Dave form Chicago sent me a copy of the owner's manual from his 87 express and I noticed that they do not mention the mid cabin express in the manal. I wonder if it has a different manual as well? It does mention the Aft Cabin mdoel as well as the sedan bridges. I wonder why the mid cabin express is such a different anumal?
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Looks like some significant differences between the 330 express and the mid cabin model.

Here's the differences I am aware of, can anyone add to the list?

Engines and gen set are farther aft

diffeent ratio transmissions and different sized props

shorter shafts resulting in smaller diameter props spinning faster

2 struts instead of four (shorter shafts do not require all that support)

2 outboard fuel tanks instead of one centrally mounted

totally different stringer construction

no liner in the midcabin models

water and waste tanks located in alternate positions

mid cabin models have no side exhausts.

mid cabin models have two side windows, the earlier express cruiser models have three on each side.

Mid cabin models have a transom cut out to ease entry/exit, the 330 model does not

mid cabin models have a filler panel above the rear gunnels and the transom is taller from the water line to the top of the transom.

mid cabin models have a raised cockpit floor and a shorter sliding plexiglass cabin door. I believe the windshield is at the same height as the 330 model.

mid cabin models have the electrical panel on the inside of the cabin, express models have it below the helm.

can anyone add to the list?

RWS
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I think I have the side exhausts on the mid cabin. They are located right at the waterline in the aft corners. (Outboard the dual fuel tanks). All the other items sound correct
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I knew the two style boats were different butafter seeing some actual pictures I surprised at how drastic some of them are!

Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

RWS,
Are you running yanmars? if so what model and are you happy with them?

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

the side exhausts are actually in the middle of the boat in the helm area, at the water line. no where near the transom area.