10 Meter Stringer Progress and tip for 10 meter owners.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Here are some photos of the engine room during the refitting from the factory Crusader 454's to the Yanmar 6LP engines.

I have also included some Trojan items on the hull design and the graph on her speed/fuel burn/efficiency before the refit.

Let's see if this works....

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc11 ... 36c8c0.pbw
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

RWS,
That's beautiful! Really impressive! Right now I'm planning on rebuilding the existing crusaders but my father (who's also my business partner) mentioned helping me out to repower with diesels if we pick up some more work over the next few months.
Where did you get the explosion proof lamps? They run off of shorepower or gen. Correct? I was going to look into the same thing for my boat and I really like the ones you have, they look sturdy.

Beautiful Work!
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The explosion proof lamps are availablefrom WW Grainger. You can get them on line.

They are basically the same as the factory engine room light.

You can install 12volt incandescents that look tha same as a standard 120volt lamp, except they run on 12v and are available at marine and RV retailers.

Get the lower wattage units if you expect to add a few as the current draw will then be acceptable.

On the engines, it is my understanding that you do not have the height constraint in your engine room with the mid cabin that exists for the express cruiser.

You may have more choices for diesels than I did which was either the Volvo or Yanmar.

Take a look at the factory reman Cummins, I think you might be surprised.

While diesel may be more expensive (for now) you can expect nearly twice the range at a higher cruise speed which can open up all sorts of new adventures.

RWS

Also,a very valuable resource is http://www.boatdiesel.com

RWS
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

OK, I see the difference in the side exhausts now. Those are wild. I assume that they are below the waterline? Are they quiet?

I too am really surpised at how different the boats are.
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Yorklyn, btw did you boat come with a manual? I'm realy curious to see if the manuals are different as well. Dave was kind enough to send me a copy of his manaul (87 express), but it doesn't explicitly mention the mid cabin version in there.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Scott,

The manual for my International is very basic boat stuff. The most valuable items are the wiring charts and schematics.

You will find that every wire is identified with a number tag ..... makes things easy to trace.

Other than that the manual is very general

RWS
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Scott,
Like RWS said, I believe the manual is very basic and generic. Mine also does not mention the mid cabin. Let me know if your missing anything from it as I believe I have the complete manual with wiring diagrams. If your trying to figure out or find anything about your mid cabin don't hesitate to ask. I don't have all the answers but have found some interesting things while tearing my boat apart for a rebuild.

Take Care,
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Thanks Todd,

Dave sent me the manual from his express so I'm in pretty good shape there. I would be interested in a copy of your wiring diagrams as I suspect they may be different for the mid cabin.

I'm still amazed at how different the mid cabin is from the rest.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Scott,

Check your e-mail for some wiring schematics from my '83 express cruiser.

RWS