1975 Trojan F-26 Homebuilt hardtop under construction

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

chucka
Sporadic User

1975 Trojan F-26 Homebuilt hardtop under construction

Post by chucka »

My project has been percolating along slowly. I'm hoping to have her in the water before the end of June, but that will only happen if I'm able to take a few extra days off work and I've been very busy there. With the price of gas, I don't expect to be going far, but I want shade for when we sit out on the deck.

Here are a couple of photos.

Let me know what you think. I don't pretend that this is fine craftsmanship, but so far I'm pretty happy with the appearance. I've got just about 6 feet of headroom under the ribs, except right along the side frames where it comes down to about 5'-9". The frames are made of mahogany painted with interlux topside paint. The top itself is 1/2 inch marine plywood with a light coating of West expoy before painting. I probably should have put more resin on the plywood, and maybe a layer of cloth because I'm already seeing signs of the plywood wood grain opening up small cracks in the paint. That's even with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of topside. It looks like the plywood layers are just not glued as solidly as I expected.

I was working today on framing in the windows. I bought some starboard, which I'm cutting in 1/2 inch strips to go on either side of 1/8 in plexiglass side windows. So far the material tab is about $600 (not counting the stuff I had lying around), which according to standards means I should have spent about $120 on beer. I'm way behind in that department!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
thecode9000

Post by thecode9000 »

great work looks real good and sharp
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

looks great now your ready for a fly bridge realy it looks good
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

looks great ! good job .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Looks really sharp! What's supporting the front windshield? It looks like you removed the original framing from the side windows. A suggestion about the top. You can sand/prep the top this fall and then add the cloth and epoxy. Two layers should be plenty (maybe only one). Then prime and repaint. The plywood might start to delaminate over time. Just a suggestion. Nothing beats a hardtop on the F-26!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a photo that shows the frames before the top went on. Most of the support comes from the aft 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 Mahogany posts that are screwed and glued to the superstructure with 3M-5200.

The side windows are framed with mahogany 1x 1-1/2", which is screwed directly into the aluminum windsheild frames with self tapping screws and also glued with 5200. It's pretty stiff, I wouldn't try to stand on the roof, but it doesn't budge when I hang on it or try to wiggle it.

The top is screwed, horizontally into the posts and vertically into the top frame, but when the screws are removed, the roof lifts right off the frames.

I'm closing in the side windows with 1/8" lexan. The windows will be fixed, and I'm thinking of cutting a hatch in the top for additioanl ventalation.
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

You are doing a great job, you should be proud, it looks great.
I was contemplating the idea of the hard top, I think they look sharp and serve a huge purpose. However, you answered the most pressing question I needed an answer on. “ you are going to cut a hatch in the top for ventilation” tells me that it can get hot under the top from lack of air movement. I think I will stick to the soft-top for now.
Again Chucka , awesome job.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Here she is on the water with the hardtop in place. I didn't get as many coats of paint on as I wanted to, but sometimes you have to just declare victory and move on.

I put sliding plexiglass panels over the windshield to add a litle extra ventalation for when I want to close the main windshield.
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

very nice and well thought out. A+
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

very nice it looks like it belongs not a add on
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

You did a great job on her, really adds to the boat, very sharp. You also did a very professional job on your deck. That was a project I was glad to finish, looks like I ran into the same problems you did. I finally found this forum after 15yrs of owning my F-26, lots of good info. I decided awhile back that ithe F-26 is the perfect boat for what I do and so I have continually upgraded her.....I'm actually waiting for my new outriggers to arive the next couple of days :D
take care,
Matt
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Looks just like it belongs to be there. When you get ready to fiberglass the top check out 'Merton's Supplies' and 'System Three' epoxy products. Did me very well on a 26 gallon epoxy project on a 1973 28ft Chris Craft years back.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
Fryedogg

Post by Fryedogg »

Looks great! I have a 1979 Trojan Express Hardtop. Yours looks like it came from the factory. What engine do you have and what is your prop size?
Fryedogg
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Great looking hardtop! You done good, real good! Enjoy the rest of the season.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

looks good
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D