Mirror Removal F-32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lakeguy72

Mirror Removal F-32

Post by lakeguy72 »

Has anyone tried to remove the mirror in the head of a 1977 F-32? My mirror is getting cloudy around the edges. It appears to be glued in place. Removing the upper and lower supports is not enough. I'd not break is as I could use it for a pattern.
Thanks
Summer Hi
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

you can use gue gone and a thin wire like from a pitcher hanger and use a sawing action sounds crude but it dose work
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Mine are different as you have a port window in your head. But on my '85 32, I have no window but a vanity cabinet with two glass mirrors on either cabinet door.

Mine were fogging on the edges. I just took some wood trim and pictured-framed the outside of the mirror. Just measure, mitre and use construction adhesive to the glass and wood trim to add a custom touch to your mirror, then stain or paint to satisfaction.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
lakeguy72

Mirror Removal

Post by lakeguy72 »

mr elveman thanks for the wire tip. I forgot that did that to remove a car windshield.
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

It just happens that I was looking at how my mirror was mounted in my 76 f32 and found something unexpected while taking out more of the interior.
I dropped the ceiling that was held in by teak trim around the perimeter, and found the mirror is only held in by the lower trim and a upper teak strip screwed to the under side of the deck.

So the mirror floats in kind of a loose frame, I guess this keeps it from cracking when the hull and deck flex. I wonder if this is factory or if it was supposed to have adhesive holding it in?
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
lakeguy72

Mirror Removal

Post by lakeguy72 »

Mac32, now you have me thinking. I didn't fully remove the top/bottom trim pieces--as the mirror seemed to still be solidly mounted. It sure would be nice if that was all that was holding it.
Lakeguy
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

The piece on my boat that actually holds the top of the mirror is mounted above the white melamine ceiling (that has the first trim piece).

If I get to the boat soon I will take a picture that shows the whole side open since I removed my head wall and door.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
lakeguy72

Mirror Removal

Post by lakeguy72 »

I got the mirror out today. After removing the top/bottom supports I found the top edge was held on with double backed tape. using a piece of flat stock I was able to reach up and loosen the tape.
Thanks for all the help.