Port engine not going past 2800rpms HELP!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jamieharrower24

Port engine not going past 2800rpms HELP!!

Post by jamieharrower24 »

I have a 78 F-32 and the port engine was beeing a bit of a problem at the start of the season( not idling right, alot of smoke from the valve cover filter and oil filler cap). I got a friend of mine who knows more than me to have a look and he fiddle with the timing and plug wires and distrubuter. He got it all good and i took it out and was going great (both engines crusing at 3200) then port side started to die out then quit. I tried moving the distributer around and couldnt get it going. Yesterday he fixed it agian and had to move the distributer agian and he cleaned the carb. I have old gas in both tanks too that iam trying to burn out. But yesterday the engine wouldnt go past 2900rpms, I tried pushing it for a while and then it smelt like burning rubber from the exhaust hoses. he siad probly from unburnt fuel burning in there...any ideas???
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Bad Fuel

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Buy some Startron Enzyme fuel treatment or better yet buy some Startron Enzyme Tank cleaner. This stuff really works. It will make your bad fuel good and also clean any gunk out of your tanks. It may take a while for you to get rid of junk in your tank but the fuel should be useable overnight and burn a lot better. Check a couple things as well. Replace your water separator filters and any other fuel filters. Also remove the backflow preventer in the top of the tank between the elbow and where the copper line attaches and clean it of any foreign matter than can get plugged in there. put a mark on it before you remove it to show the proper flow direction. Put it back in and don't use teflon tape on the threads. Use a fuel rated pipe joint sealer on the threads.

I think there many be other issues with your engine like possibly the wrong plug wire on the wrong plug or the firing order wrong on the distributor. Check all those with the proper manual for your engine. Then check the timing and spark dwell if you don't have the electronic ignition. If you have electronic ignition then just check the timing.

What engines do you have?
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
jamieharrower24

Post by jamieharrower24 »

i have the M360's with the electronic ignition...as far as fuel tanks i have 4 tanks, the two forward tanks are right empty and i dont plan on using them. The two aft tanks....one is right full and one was right full. both engine are running off the one tank cause i tried running the them on each tanks and the one tank with still full wouldnt run the engine, it must be so bad gas or maybe something plugged that it wouldnt run. so iam running out the one tank now on both engines to get rid of what i can from that tank.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Jamie,

Also, very important...

If you are using one tank for each engine, shut off the other two at the manifold valve. If you are using one tank for both engines, shut off the the other three.

The valve Tad is speaking of is the anti-syphon valve. They get crudded up and will starve the engine of fuel when their is a high demand. Yesm be sure to drain the seperators and replace all filters.
Good luck.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: Bad Fuel

Post by Stripermann2 »

rjcress wrote:
TADTOOMUCH wrote: Put it back in and don't use teflon tape on the threads. Use a fuel rated pipe joint sealer on the threads.
Sorry for the dumb question, and I don't want to hijack this thread, but it is pertinent so I'll ask here... why not use teflon tape?
Because most of the time, if improperly taped, you may get teflon tape in the fuel line itself. I always use tape but you start taping a couple of threads onto the fitting. Never had a problem due to teflon, on the threads.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Teflon vs. Pipe Compound

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Few reasons for not using teflon tape.

1. It allows the tapered threads to slide too much and you can actually over-tighten them and crack fittings.
2. It does not hold up real well to fuel
3. If you do get it inside the fuel line it does plug things up.
4. It is really rated for water lines and you can buy some rated for gas lines but that is for natural or LP gas not gasoline.

Few reasons to use fuel rated pipe joint compound (Rector Seal #5, Gasoila-E seal)
1. Fuel rated to 10,000 psi even though fuel lines from tank to pump under suction and much less pressure.
2. Will make a tight seal without over-tightening fittings
3. Won't degrade in fuel
4. Don't have to wrap it in the right direction
5. Will seal some previously split joints
6. Made specifically for this purpose.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke