Water in oil

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jezebel

Water in oil

Post by Jezebel »

Hey guys,

For the last month I've been in Hell... So, here goes my sob story. I bought a Trojan F-25 Sea Raider (Sportfishing boat) from a real nice guy in Kent Island, MD. It was in mint condition (no kidding). Although... it's still a 1974 with a Inboard Mercruiser Ford 302 and 351 Windsor heads. I took it down the Chesapeake and up the Patomic on 24 & 25 April. She ran beautifully on the way home (168 miles)... besides a starting problem when she was warm... don't know why really but it doesn't matter now. Two weeks later. So... I figured I'd give her a tune up because it was starting rough and idling rough. I did the typical tune-up stuff... Then out for a test drive and all hell broke loose in my life!!! Twenty minutes into the ride I melted down the port side exhaust hose. Called Boat US and they towed me to Hampton's Marina. The owner of the Marina was a quality guy albeit his shop co-owner was a bit crass and well.. doesn't matter. What they found was Sea Cock 3/4 open, compression all screwed up... the receipt is at the boat right now can't give the exact numbers.. nonetheless... I towed it back to home marina...I took off the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds w/ risers, heads... everything down to the pistons. Yep! All gaskets were blown... head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets... you name it. I took the heads to a reputable machinist.. he shaved them but not enough to change compression and said they were good. I took the exhaust manifold & risers to Harbin Marine where they tested them and said they were good. I cleaned the rust up... rebuilt (basically) with new gaskets all around the exhaust manifold... risers etc....cleaned with wire brush all places a gasket would go... so new gaskets on everything.. using a certified mechanic to supervise me on the project. Ok. So, the engine is back together... tried to start... had problems with firing order.. got that right... started having an electrical short in the process. Shortening the days of headache story for you... I replaced with brand new parts... Thermostat, Thermostat sender, Thermostat gauge, starter, alternator, batteries, battery cables, rebuilt main water pump and belts.. electrical short still... found a good electric guy to coach me... had to bypass neutral safety start switch... still have a short somewhere but that's another issue altogether... I'm going to rewire the whole damn thing... but what I'm not getting is why I still have water coming in the oil. I've changed the oil 6 times... used motor flush twice... put sea foam in with several oil changes... I'M STILL GETTING WATER IN OIL!!!!... Oh! Let me throw this fact in.... we thought she was overheating but according to the new gauge she's ok at 160 to 180. However, the Starboard exhaust manifold is cool as a cucumber and the Port side will burn you. Also, while I was testing water flow I pulled hoses while running... what I found was good flow everywhere but the water going out the top of risers to overboard, the starboard side had much more pressure with some exhaust smoke in it... while I'm telling you this I must say that while the mechanic and I were putting the exhaust manifold (starboard) back on we slightly bent/kinked the new gasket... he said it wouldn't matter after putting gasket sealant (black stuff) and torqueing it down...but then again he's an auto mechanic... I've completely ignored my family/friends and work for three weeks while doing all this stuff... daylight to dark and beyond...She's running now but the valves are ticking bad (lack of good oil getting to them I guess) but probably I need to go back and adjust them again anyway as the mechanic didn't seem to do it right... but nonetheless.. oil gauge isn't working right now but never has.. I have a oil pressure sender unit on order, I already put a new gauge on. Still the BIG problem is water in the oil! I'm tired, beat down, financially wounded... In hindsight I could have put a new V6 Chevy Vortec in it with the same torque or more but that's another story... I've got 3500 in parts... labor, etc, etc ... It has beat me down guys... I'm at the mercy of all you guys at this point or pull the whole engine out (start over) when I save up some more money....and spend some time with my family... and am not so mentally beaten down. Can any of you magically bring me and Jezebel II back to life?

Thanks,

John Burnette
Ft. Belvoir, VA
:(
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Not a good fathers day story :(, but I've been their before. My last boat had a pair of 1962 . 283s. I think I could draw you a detailed picture of every casted peice of metal in the engine room. Partially because I took them apart when I wanted to, other times because of the same problem you had.

I finally solved my mystery of water in the oil. It was the exhaust manifolds. When they would get hot, tiny little cracks between the water jacket and the exhaust would become big cracks. The cracks were majically right in line with valve and water would bascially pour in during the last part of exhaust cycle.

I figured out my problem by pulling the plugs one at a time after it was hot. If you have some discolored plugs, but one is bright white, that's the one that's getting a regular bath. The exhaust on that side might be shot.

That engine has square exhaust logs. After I pulled one, I put a square cap on both ends and plugged the water lines except for one for the air hose. They'd hold about 10 lbs, but by 20 lbs of air, you could hear the hissing.

I hear you on the V6s. Less weight, more power, less gas consumption. Since I only idle around now with our F36, the 454s seem silly. A couple of 4.3 V6s would idle just as well for 1/2 the running costs.

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Jezebel

Thanks

Post by Jezebel »

Thanks LandVF36,

I'll work on that and maybe come up with something... when I financially and emotionally recover.

I appreciate you taking the time to write back

Thanks,

John
Jezebel

Exhaust manifolds

Post by Jezebel »

Anyone know where I could get a pair of exhaust manifolds for a 1974 Trojan F25, Mercruiser Ford 302, with 351W Heads, 4barrell? LOL

John
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Exhaust manifolds

Post by prowlersfish »

Jezebel wrote:Anyone know where I could get a pair of exhaust manifolds for a 1974 Trojan F25, Mercruiser Ford 302, with 351W Heads, 4barrell? LOL

John

http://www.ebasicpower.com/exhaust/index.php

http://www.ebasicpower.com/exhaust/index.php
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

This place is more of a distributor but they sell direct as well. I found the logs for the 283s there a few seasons ago at the best price incl shipping.
http://www.marysvillemarine.com/
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
rossjo
Ultimate User

ouch

Post by rossjo »

Rough time - sorry man ..

Try eBay for manifolds, but don't buy someone else's used problem manifolds.

http://search.ebay.com/marine-boat-mani ... c351Q2aQ29

New Barr Indmar Marine Exhaust Manifold Ford V8 302 351 - $176 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Barr-Ind ... enameZWDVW
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I had the same problem with a Doral I once owned. Water in the oil and it was due to a crack between the exhaust port and water jacket deep in the manifold.

Hope this helps
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Wingit48

Post by Wingit48 »

I have twin 454s and had the same problem with my engine with water in the oil. I ended up replacing the exhaust manifolds and used OSCO for the new ones with happy results. I also have the same problem with starting the starboard engine when it is warm and would appreciate any guidance....BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand.
etpence

Post by etpence »

make sure and check the intake manifold too
I had the same issue and found not only is the exhaulst manifold craccked but the intake also

todd
30" sea raider
MioMio
Jezebel

intake manifold arriving today

Post by Jezebel »

Well, it wasn't the exhaust manifolds. Intake manifold arrives today. Aluminum Edelbrock. We'll see. Thanks for everything guys.
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Water in oil

Post by davidsmith »

Have you checked your oil cooler?
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I hate to be the one but somebody has to say it...........cracked block??? When you have the intake manifold off check the block under the intake........had that on a 350 and the only way i found it was to pressurize the block.......
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude