transmission problem

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vito tursi

transmission problem

Post by vito tursi »

looking for information, my transmission is stuck in foward, the problem is not in the cable or linkage, any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it.
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

What kind of transmission? The velvet drive service manual is availble here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/down ... Manual.pdf

check out this website:
http://www.marinegears.com/techboard/index.html

I've used that board for advice in the past and gotten good info.

if you search the treads you will find "stuck in forward". The reply says fwd clutches are burnt or warped. You will need to rebuild" His words not mine.

Good Luck,
ChuckA
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
james264

Post by james264 »

:( more than likely the clutches are warped or if bad enough welded together after slipping giving you direct drive .shifting to reverse will sometimes stall the engine.It's a common trouble always check your shifter linkage in foward or reverse to be sure it drops into the detent ball on the side of the transmission if not the forward or reverse clutches do not get enough drive pressure through the spool valve to fully engage the clutches and slip and overheat.Sounds like a rebuild is in order if so don't do it on the cheap replace the cooler also and flush the lines out .Good luck Jim!!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

When you say stuck is the lever moving ? if it is I agree with the above ansers. if the lever won't move it may be a worn detent ball and lever or just a stuck detent ball . what type of trans is it ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D