Onan 6.5KW generator Electronic Ignition conversion

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jwrape
Moderate User

Onan 6.5KW generator Electronic Ignition conversion

Post by jwrape »

Well after finding and searching all the part numbers and collecting all the parts I am down to missing ONE single part to finish my Electronic Ignition conversion on my 74' Onan Gen Set.

the problem is Onan/Cummins Power South will not look up the part number for my unless i give them a valid GMC Onan Generator part number for the plunger I need.

Anyways, I started out trying to figure out how to convert my Onan to Electronic Ignition. It is no easy task. Onan/Cummins, does not make a conversion for Marine style Gen Sets. Well I googled it and found that they DO make a EIK for the GMC Motorhome Generators. Onan won't own up to the conversion because it's not Marine certified BUT it's all sealed and provides absolutely no exposed spark so there's no danger they are just being overly cautious.
Here is what I started out with, the old Breaker/Points tower that is impossible to adjust or even get to without being a contortionist.
Then I bought this little jewel. Onan P/N 160-1376. Cost $193 but should be worth every penny once it's installed.
Then to retrofit it into the newer style housing I had to cut off the right side adjustment screw to fit it under the cover and on the new mounting plate Onan P/N 160-1219
Here it is cut off

So after I cut this, I figured out that it wouldn't fit up into the original Break tower and re-read the directions here
http://www.gmcws.org/Tech/onan_electron ... ition.html
After re-reading the directions I realized I needed the newer base plate P/N 160-1219 seen here at the bottom of the pic. It is basically a little strip of Metal that cost $44. :roll:

Ok, now that I documented what I did and where I got the info, there is ONE vital missing piece to these instructions that I still need to find. That piece is the Plunger that fits the new Electronic ignition kit.
The plunger is the little rod that rides a lobe on the crank that pushes up the points, or in this case the EIK and tells the EIK when to spark.
The original Plunger is about 3" long, the new one should be about an inch and half. But I can't just cut it down cause it's length is critical to the timing.
So my soga continues.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

I may have just been given the part number for the correct short push rod. A fellow board member from
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
gave me P/N 160-1151 for the plunger and the gasket is 160-1368. This should be the final thing I need to convert my 74' Onan to Electronic Ignition.

I will post up next week when I get it all together and let you guys know how it works out. Cross your fingers for me.
Last edited by jwrape on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

JW - Very neat project. Terrific description and photos.

R
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

jwrape wrote:I may have just been given the part number for the correct short push rod. A fellow board member from
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
gave me P/N 160-1151. This should be the final thing I need to convert my 74' Onan to Electronic Ignition.

I will post up next week when I get it all together and let you guys know how it works out. Cross your fingers for me.
And the gasket under the base plate is P/N 160-1368
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

rickalan35 wrote:JW - Very neat project. Terrific description and photos.

R
Thanks,
The pics are a little bad due to using my cell phone to take the pics but it gets the points across. Hope it helps someone else cause I know these Onans are not the most friendly running gens with Points.
Also there is another Electronic ignition that I have read about on the Onan forums that is called Pentrix. Pentrix is a little more in depth to install. you have to gain access to the flywheel and add pices to the flywheel and a pickup. The up side to that is it's about $70 to convert, the down side is the extra work to install.
The upside to using the Onan parts is that they are pretty much drop in and run, the down side is I will have almost $300 in this conversion. The EIK is $293, the Base plate is $44, the plunger and gasket together are $11.96+$5 shipping to the house next day.
So tomorrow I should have everything I need to complete my conversion.

Man these part numbers are hard to come by without being a Onan employee.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Well I got the parts last night and it looks like I have everything I will need to install it on Sunday morning. I will let you guys know how it runs.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Ok, so I nstalled the ignition and nothing happened. I am still troubleshooting so far. I am very irratated right at the moment.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Post by davidsmith »

You need to set the timing. Put a timing light on the number 1 plug wire and try to start. You should be able to see light flash if the plug is firing. I cant remember what the timing is set but 3 degrees rings a bell. Also make sure you pull the braiding back on the plug wire where the timing light is connected. You adjust the timing by the adjustment screw on the ignition. Hope this helps.
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

davidsmith wrote:You need to set the timing. Put a timing light on the number 1 plug wire and try to start. You should be able to see light flash if the plug is firing. I cant remember what the timing is set but 3 degrees rings a bell. Also make sure you pull the braiding back on the plug wire where the timing light is connected. You adjust the timing by the adjustment screw on the ignition. Hope this helps.
But I have absolutely NO spark. I plugged in one of my old plugs I had and grounded it to the head on the block and got NO spark from the ignition at all. I adjusted the timing by sliding the electronic ignition module side to side and got nothing out of it.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

When I got to install the Ignition I found that my new base has a round piece protruding that made it NOT fit up on my Onan where my Points/breaker box tower used to be. So I cut the piece off to make it fit properly.
After that this is what the whole ignition looks like ready to go on.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Post by davidsmith »

Is the part you cut off is where the plunger fits?
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Post by davidsmith »

How do you have the ignition wired?
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

davidsmith wrote:Is the part you cut off is where the plunger fits?
Yes, it is part of the hole that the plunger fits into. The plunger still works properly and has plenty of space. That little tube i cut off was for the GMC motohome version.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Post by davidsmith »

One wire to ground the other to coil?
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

davidsmith wrote:How do you have the ignition wired?
The black wire is grounded to chassis ground. The red wire, I have tried on the positive lead off the thermo switch which feeds the coil that has 10.89V on it and I have also tried it on the positive lead that used to attach to the points that also has 10.89V on it. Neither connection gave me a spark from the coil. I am wondering if the low voiltage output to the electronic igntion module is affecting it. I mean does it require 12v+ to orperate correctly or is is made to operate off the 10.89V+ off the coil itself. An why is the coil, that worked before with points, have only 10.89v coming from it instead of 12V?

EDIT: I used my Volt/Ohm Meter to find a proper ground and get the readings off the coil.
79' Carver 28' Mariner