1976 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LSP
Active User

1976 F32

Post by LSP »

Good evening .... new member. Actually today I thought that I would be a new / old Trojan boat owner. I've had my eye on a 1976 F32 for awhile. I watched the price drop and drop over the last year. I knew it probably needed some work...but sometimes something catches your eye and you just can't walk away. I'd made a low-ball offer and was accepted. Today the surveyor (along with my wife) went to check out the boat. Here's a rundown of the findings.....Should I walk away? Thoughts?

Engines - 318 chryslers - under 150 hours since repower - good shape
Trans / complete drive train - good shape
small loose stuff...nothing major there
couple bare wires and a couple hoses needed replacing...
Stringers in good shape

Here's the major? issues...
Main bulkhead between engine and cockpit bildges starting to rot
Most forward bulkhead in forward V berth shows signs of rot at the base
Starboard Bow deck running to starboard gunwale starting to rot and needs replacing
Cockpit deck is soft....portside and back corner
Old type fuel tanks...not leaking but suggests replacing

Hmmmmm.....she is 30 years old. Thoughts / comments / suggestions?

Thanks ....
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

hi i have a 1972 30' searaider bolth bulkheads were rotted replacement was easy 3/8 marine ply mahogany i made paper patterns then traced onto the ply i used gorila glue whare needed stainless screws sealled the new bulkeads with ceeps primed and painted whol thing took me a weekend i guess it all depends on how handy you are and what your willing to try allso thair are some very knolagable people on this forum and more importenly thair willing to answer questions ( trying and failling is better then not trying at all) spelling bee champ retuns!!!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi LSP,

I see that I may be the first person jumping into this....... yeow.

LSP, I would guess that this is a probably a really big project that you might be biting off.

I've owned 6 wooden boats during my chequered boating past and actually "paid" to have 5 of them (runabouts) restored professionally. Having now freely admitted that particular weakness to everyone on this forum, I will state from bitter experience that the scope of work and costs you originally budget for - will double IMHO

Personally, I don't like the sound of the way the rot has developed. I would be suspicious that the decks have leaked (because of initial cracking and then delamination) and begun to rot and then the moisture worked it's way down to the bottom of the bulkheads and the rot began there too. Remember that wood rot is a living organism that progresses at a fairly quick rate down the length of the wood cells.

A lot of times, specific rot can be successfully treated with a substance called "Git Rot" (Cheap) and the newer "epoxy resins" (Very Expensive)
but "support structures" such as decks and bulkheads cannot be "plastisized" and therefore must be replaced - very, very tough (bulkheads) in an existing fiberglass boat. Decks are doable but time consuming (need to be done from underneath) and expensive - a real bear of a job.

So, you took your wife along too, huh?

I would have to say "RUN" .... to the next Trojan. Like all of us, you need one!
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

The thing I like about about my friend The Elevman is that I never ever want to get on an elevator that he has managed to get his hands on.......... just kidding Eman (BTW, is that the way to spell kidding?)

.........Elevman replaced a bulkhead in a week-end!... and I invented the internet, not Al Gore.

Anyway, just joshing with the Elevman, he's a great sport. I wish I was better with my hands than I am. There are a lot of things I have to hire out to get done. Just not handy that way like some of the people on this forum and in my marina.

Cheers

Rick
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

First of all its a 32 year old boat , I don;t think you find a boat of that age that did not have some issues. you have some places starting to rot you may be able to stop it with Get rot or slow it down . how soon this needs to be fixxed its hard to say I have seen many boats with these proplems that are used every day with out issues.

If its a good deal ,and the rots not to bad get rot it and the fix it as need as you use it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I agree with prowlerfish. Although my F-26 is not your F-32, they ALL have the same issues. I replaced my galvanized tank with plastic and have never, ever looked back on that one! A bilge full of gas is NOT the way to pass an afternoon! Fiberglas tanks already are being comprimsed by E-10 and who's to say it will never, ever be sold at your marina. The soft spots don't seem all that bad. I "fixed" a soft spot on my starboard bow about 8 years ago. Did a half-assed job under the headliner, and it still is little soft, but hasn't spread. Someday soon I'm gonna redo the entire deck as I think this is the only way to go, and yes it can be done over the dead season when the boat is out of the water....not sure about a weekend. You can go in under the deck or replace it from the top. Under deck is more elegant as you retain the original non-skid, but on top goes faster and you know you got all the rot. Bulkheads sound like they are getting soft, but they can be dealt with individually. Check out the forum, scroll back a few months, and you'll find PLENTY of information my people who have "been there, done that" successfully.

GO GET THAT BOAT - IT'S A CLASSIC!

What the hell, you're not planning to have a life after you buy an old Trojan, are you???
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Don Lumber

Post by Don Lumber »

Soft deck and bulkheads. There's definitely work there to be done. But you say you low-balled the offer and were accepted? I'm with randyp. Go get it.
1976 F-32 - twin 233hp Mercruisers
I've been told a boat is nothing more than a hole
in the water you throw money into. Meh
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Thanks for all the great info. After the survey, 6k - 8k looks like the going price. I don't think I can walk away....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Grap it now !
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

That's a steal. If it floats and runs use it and fix it as you go. Main thing is, get on the water. That's what I did and I had a lot worse issues than that. .. love my F-32.......
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Thanks again for all the good input and suggestions. I went ahead and purchased her. I look forward to years of blood / sweat / tears / and empty pockets. Take care .....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Glad to here it ! Looks great ! you will love it . BTW there is a Trojan Rendezvous at Rock Hall landing this weekend think thats just across the bay from you to far for me just for the weekend (l I am in the lower bay )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Congrats! You got a real deal on the F-32. Most of the work needed has already been done by a lot of members of this forum. Too bad we can't organize this by subject, but you'll have plenty of time this winter to scroll through the posts and pick up a LOT of good information. Trojans are well-built boats with a big fan base (aka this forum). Those twin Chryslers are bullet-proof and easy to work on. The structural/deck stuff is all fixable. You'll find out what needs the immediate work, and you'll have fun updating some of the electric, plumbing, etc.

Welcome to the family!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Congratulations on your new boat!! Sounds like she is mechanically sound, which is great. The deck/Structural stuff is a nice winter project, can be kind of fun. And, you'll really get to know where everything is on the boat which can come in handy. As far as the 318's, I had a little over 1800hrs on mine before I repowered. Good luck and enjoy!!
Matt
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Congrats LSP.

Rick