Valuing a Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AuxiliaryComms

Valuing a Trojan

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

I'e got another question to ask. As much as I'd hate to have ot turn around and sell our Sea Raider, our financial outlook has just gotten very shaky and I'm not sure that I can spend the money to even patch the hole in the stern and get her running and hauled into the water (at which point we can moor at a neighbors pier) which means I'm also going to be paying $150 a month to sit her on wood blocks. I've got a couple of ways to be able to store her for free but all involve spending money on something (motor parts, fiberglass, trailer) first.

I really don't want to sell the boat (especially after getting it for free) but it may be the wise thing to do at this time. So I'm curious about how to go about putting a price to it? I'm getting the feeling that the Sea Raider, especially from 69 is a rare-ish boat but other than that I still don't know much about them.

Any help?
Jason

1969 Sea Raider FG Express (Flickr Set)

Join the USCG Auxiliary, America's Volunteer Lifesavers
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Unfortunetly, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

If it's not seaworthy at this point, by that, I mean in a condition to be seatrialed, inspected and evaluated by a potential buyer, then it's just floating (or not floating...) money pit. :( The vessel needs to be insured too, so maybe a knowledgeable buyer, one who knows that model boat, would be an ideal candidate to purchase it.

Perhaps a sale listed with Ebay, may produce a buyer for you if time comes to sell her.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

Yeah I know condition and seller are going to be the heaviest factors, but if the same boat in good condition would be valued at 30k or something I don't want to let it go for $100.

I guess, since I've never sold anything like this before I'm just looking at a baseline.
Jason

wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

If you look on http://www.boats.com and type in the search that size boat with wood hull you'll get an idea of whats out there but remember those boat are for sale, not sold. They usually sell for much less than the asking price
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

Hmmm... the price on Boats looks to be low $20's high teens. The NADA value for a 1972 Sea Raider is about $4k.

Where would you guys set the asking price weighing the work that needs to be done?
Jason

randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Jason, I hate to be the bearer of negative news, but your boat may not be worth spit if it's not seaworthy. I've read and contributed to your prevous posts and even though I think you really want to keep her and work on her, a boat with the problems identified and most likely, problems waiting to be identified (flooded bilge, etc) all point to a no-sale situation. You could put an ad in some of the local papers and post a few ads at the local marinas. From what you've said I'd try for $500 and hope that's what you get. On the other hand you can donate boats to some charities and it may be worth more as a tax deduction. Check around some web sites or on Boat/US for further information.

The one bit of good news in your situation is that you didn't pay anything for her to begin with.

Good luck, hope it works out.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

I don't doubt you're right, that's why I'm here. Had fingers crossed thinking she could help us but I know it's not likely.
Jason

Safari

Post by Safari »

I sold my old wood boat on Ebay in one week - and got more than I expected. If you're realistic about what you have to do, start the bid at $1 and let the market set the selling price. Watch for bad bidders; if you suspect a bidder is playing with you, block the bidder immediately (or you can scare away the serious bidders). Make sure your bidders have over 10 positive feedbacks and expect payment immediately via PayPal. Then make sure the PayPal has cleared. Only sell to someone local - no funny stuff. If you are honest in your Ebay auction, you'll find that it is quick and as painless as it's going to get.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Free boat eh?

Worth thousands of dollars?

If it sounds too good.....

good luck with your adventure.

RWS
Sacriverfolks

Post by Sacriverfolks »

Use me as an example. Look under my header (Considering a 1986 F32) and you might get an idea of who you might be selling to. I can easily afford to keep a boat like you have to either work on immediately or have as a project. However, I am a fairly astute buyer. I am by no means a boat - or Trojan - expert. However, I am wise enough to know to go find good advice (as I have received here) from enthusiasts that REALLY know their thing. Also, if you are trying to move a bargain, you are going to get bargain hunters and therefore will not receive what you think is fair market value - even if it is in pristine condition. the boat I am looking at is in excellent mechanical and overall condition, however, I am well aware that in the current economy/market that I would NEVER pay anything nesar what the fellow is asking - and neither would anyone else.

I think that if it was free, and you are not able to handle it right now, then let it go to someone who CAN manage it (and be glad that it cost you little or nothing) and try again next year - or two or three years from now if you need to wait. They are obviously not going away :) !
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Try posting on craig's list. The ads are free. I think you would be very lucky to clear $1,000 the way that power boats are selling right now. It depends on your local market, and if someone in your area takes and interest.
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
GailWitch

"Money for nothing and Trojans for free"

Post by GailWitch »

Jason

I just recently bought a 1979 F-26 for a low price, although it's in great shape it was in a donation program call Boat Angels. I countered the seller before he chose to donate it.
Here is their address...

http://www.boatangel.org/_index.html

The tax deduction for this boat was 1250.00 The thing is they take boats in all shapes I believe, send you a pre-paid postage camera to document and someone comes to pick it up. They then auction it and the remainder goes to charities. I believe it may be a religous affiliated org, and just wanted to mention that as I am not trying to promote Religion and Politics. Hope this helps.....

My real advice is, see if you can hold onto that boat!!!! You may regret it in the long run when times track better for you.

BOL

Mike
"Between the devil and the deep blue sea"
GailWitch

Post by GailWitch »

Jason

I just recently bought a 1979 F-26 for a low price, although it's in great shape it was in a donation program call Boat Angels. I countered the seller before he chose to donate it.
Here is their address...

http://www.boatangel.org

The tax deduction for this boat was 1250.00 The thing is they take boats in all shapes I believe, send you a pre-paid postage camera to document and someone comes to pick it up. They then auction it and the remainder goes to charities. I believe it may be a religous affiliated org, and just wanted to mention that as I am not trying to promote Religion and Politics. Hope this helps.....

My real advice is, see if you can hold onto that boat!!!! You may regret it in the long run when times track better for you.

BOL

Mike
GailWitch

Post by GailWitch »

Jason

Here is their address...

BOL

Mike
GailWitch

Post by GailWitch »

Jason

I just recently bought a 1979 F 26 for a low price, although it's in great shape it was in a donation program call Boat Angels. I countered the seller before he chose to donate it.
Here is their address...

BOL

Mike