oil for older trojans

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dmatz

oil for older trojans

Post by dmatz »

I have had several opinions on what oil to run in older boats. I have a 72 Tri Cabin with 86 engines with around 400 hrs. I was going to use Synthetic but was told it wasn't good in older engines. That leaves synthetic blend or regular oil. I would be interested in other opinions. Thanks
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

I use synthetic in my '74 tricabin with 1300 hours on the powerplants, but that's just me. I love the stuff, might even be tempted to drink it.... just kidding. Synthetic oil hasn't negatively impacted any of my older car engines either.
But, I believe that regular oil is fine too as long as we change it a lot....meaning a lot more than everyone says we should. There may be others on this forum who will disagree but I truly believe that my car and boat engines owe their long life to frequent oil changes and the advent of synthetics.

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Sacriverfolks

Post by Sacriverfolks »

No, I use nothing BUT full synthetics in my SUV and Volkswagen (turbo - required) and I have little or no issues ever in regards to wear and tear stuff. i have been doing that now for over ten years, and I plan to use the same in the boat I eventually buy.
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I used regular valvoline in my old LM318, changed it every 40hrs or so and I had over 1800hrs on it before I decided to repower. Currently in my 5.7mpi Crusader I've been using Shell Rotella T. Have just under 300hrs on it, never had any problems. I still maintain the 40hr interval.
Matt
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Matt - I've heard that having radar humming along close by can cause sterility.... any probs? :D

Cheers

Rick
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

oil

Post by prowlersfish »

my self I use Shell Rotella (15w-40) I used it in my last 4 boats (gas engines ) and of course in my diesels.

Synthetic oil won't hurt a thing, but there is no need to use it . I don't think you will gain anything . having work on engines for over 30 years (for a living)the only oil caused engine proplems I have seen are due running out of oil or lack of changing it ( and thats on Synthetic and reg oil )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I use 20W-50 AMSOIL synthetic in my 300HP 350cid and AMSOIL ATF synthetic in the Velvet Drive transmission. And just so I dont' have to keep a variety of oil on board, I also use the 20W-50 in my Kohler generator.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

ouch!!!
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Hi Rick,
haven't had any problems with the radar "beaming" me yet. It's actually about 4' over my head, and then I have my bimini top between....though it has saved me countless times in fog : )
jakevr

Post by jakevr »

ive got a 1970 sea voyager with 350 crusaders and just changed the oil and was told to use straight 30W
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

What model crusader engine do you have? I have a 2003 5.7 crusader captains choice. Crusader recommends 15W-40 for this engine. I've been using Shell Rotella T with good results. The original engine for this boat, a chrysler lm318 built in 1975 took straight 30.
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

The only bad thing I have heard about synthetic is if you have always used regular motor oil, in your engine, and then switch to synthetic, the engine will leak oil like a seive. I don't know if this is true or not. Just keeping your oil changed should do the trick. I have 318's also and run 10W 40. Take the oil fill cap off and look inside the valve cover and it looks like new.
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

"The only bad thing I have heard about synthetic is if you have always used regular motor oil, in your engine, and then switch to synthetic, the engine will leak oil like a seive. "

This old wive's tale has stopped many a synthetic conversion. If your engine leaks with dino oil, it will leak with syn. Tight with dino oil, 99% of converted engines will be tight with syn.

Brett
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

One thing that should also be pointed out about synthetics is that they should not be used initialy in a new or rebuilt engine. These oils lubricate so well that they do not allow for a proper engine break in.(Rings & Camshaft) Conventional oil like SAE 30 is what I like to use for the first 30hrs. and then I switch over to synthetics. Same goes for the trans.
Last edited by Paul on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Paul's correct re: the break in.

Of course, how many of us Trojan owners ever get to break in a brand new engine?? I guess I only dream about stuff like that.

Rick