Engines Quit When Warm

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Engines Quit When Warm

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I have two Chrysler 360's that have new Edelbrock carbs, all new ignition parts-yes all, new fuel tanks and lines, new fuel filters, new plugs and wires. I start them up and they run fine. I take the boat out for a 30 minute run and they run fine. I get into the harbor and at idle-700 rpm, they both die which is not fun when it is crowded. I have tried almost anything and I am at my wits end. Any suggestions? Please.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Engines Quit When Warm

Post by captainmaniac »

Heat / vapour lock issue with less fuel flow at low RPMs, or perhaps choke closing on the carbs?
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

What about adjusting your idle speed up a tad. Just keep it below 1,000 RPM in neutral as per the Velvet Drive manual.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
rnrvmd

Post by rnrvmd »

I had the same problem with same engines. After much anguish and new parts, it turned out to be low compression causing plugs to fail. We decided to repower. You can get long blocks for $1500 to$2000.00 each with a two year warranty. The boat is on stands due the stalling problem and Covid. Repower set for this Fall.
Check the compression. If it's low, get new long blocks. Talk to Bob.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

TADTOOMUCH wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:25 pm I have two Chrysler 360's that have new Edelbrock carbs, all new ignition parts-yes all, new fuel tanks and lines, new fuel filters, new plugs and wires. I start them up and they run fine. I take the boat out for a 30 minute run and they run fine. I get into the harbor and at idle-700 rpm, they both die which is not fun when it is crowded. I have tried almost anything and I am at my wits end. Any suggestions? Please.
A compression check before tuning any engine is great suggestion. So I would up the idle rpm to minimum 750-800 in gear. Also check and set your timing at that rpm in gear, then adjust the idle mixture a bit richer at that rpm ( if too lean it will stall ). You may have to keep adjusting the rpm as the adjustments are made. You will know when you get it right as the rpm will not drop much as it is put in gear, forward or reverse at the dock, tighten your lines first. Give it a try and see what happens after a heat soak.
buffalobill

Post by buffalobill »

Hello, I had the same problem with my starboard 360 on a F32. After a lot of advice from some smart guys out there we replaced the old distributor with a Pertronix Marine Dist. Period, no more stalling or engine die when out after 45-60 minutes and it will make it easier coming back into dock. PS Big thanks to Larry R down in good old Texas way. Smart man about this stuff!!!!!!!!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If you have mechanical advance distributors, check to see if the advance mechs are working freely and not binding when they need to spring back.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Martino

Post by Martino »

Any answers or results on this issue? Has the problem been rectified?