Cabin headliner F26 HT

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boppy
Sporadic User

Cabin headliner F26 HT

Post by Boppy »

After all these years of looking at the nasty, droopy vinyl headliner in the cabin of the trusty Blue Heron I’ve been thinking of ripping out the whole shooting match and replacing it with something more “nautical”. Of course, I’ll have to accommodate interior lighting and wiring but I think that can be a work-around with wood (teak?) moulding. Any ideas of your are more than welcome! Thanks. PS Finally got the 3 inches of frozen sleet off the driveway. Spring can’t come sooner!!
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Cabin headliner F26 HT

Post by prowlersfish »

I have been looking at doing the same. I am thinking about using white perforated vinyl-like what's on it now.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

I have a 10 meter mid cabin
I recently re configured the head and had to put in a new headliner
I picked up a tip from youtube that might work for you
there is a white corrugated plastic material sold at Home Depot (I'm sure elsewhere as well)
I made a pattern of the area I needed to cover using drywall furring cardboard and a glue gun
then I cut the plastic to fit (a little difficult but doable)
with spray adhesive I attached white vinyl material to the corrugated plastic
then I glued the panel to the ceiling with Gorilla Glue's equivalent of Liquid Nails
worked well and looks great
If your aesthetic allows for teak molding/trim then the job might be easier

rr
10 meter mid cabin
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Thanks guys! I’m liking the idea of removing the existing headliner and the metal strips that run across the cabin top. That gives me another 3-4 inches of headroom. Was thinking I could mount flexible panels (like paneling) to the fiberglass cabin top with wood strips covering the joints. I could make furring strips from 3/8-1/2” plywood and epoxy them to the cabin top surface. Foam insulation in between the furring strips. Well, that’s where my brain is heading, but it’s probably frozen thanks to all the cold weather we’ve been having up here. Sound plausible?
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY