Fuel sending units

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Rxcape

Fuel sending units

Post by Rxcape »

Another question for the forum guru's.....

Fuel sending units

Fellow boaters.... I have a 1975 Trojan FBMY with Chrysler 440's and I am getting very erratic fuel readings on the bridge. The fuel gauges are AC gauges and I have tested them by grounding out the sending unit terminal on the gauge and the gauge will read full, returns to empty when ground is removed. I have tested continuity and all pass the test. The 3 gauges(starboard, port and generator) all react the same. This leads me to believe that the erratic readings are due to failing or failed sending units. I have researched trying to find out what the ohm readings are for the sending units but have not found any results. Would any of you knowledgeable people here on the forum happen to know what the ohm readings are so I can test/replace the sending units? Two separate 180gallon main tanks and one 40gallon generator tank.

I have searched the forum and see many posts regarding the sending units however did not see anything regarding the ohm reading of the sending units. I think that I read someplace that the original main tank sending units were 30-120ohms. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Fuel sending units

Post by prowlersfish »

From What I understand The Delco sending units have a unique range and there is no replacement available. Bob at Beacon marine is well verst in the AC Delco gauges Give him a call. His number is at the bottom of the page on this link.

You did say all 3 were acting up? If all are acting up at the same time check your grounds

https://www.trojanboats.net/trojan-boat ... nders.html
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Rxcape

Re: Fuel sending units

Post by Rxcape »

Thank you Prowlersfish...

Yes, all three are inaccurate to varying degrees. I have searched the grounds and all look good but I have not disconnected and cleaned the connections. Next on my to-do list. The sending units are putting out an ohm reading at the tank but does not seem accurate when manually sounding the corresponding tank.

Thanks again!