1995 Trojan 350 Kohler 6.5CZ burning out TV's

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Tmclain272

1995 Trojan 350 Kohler 6.5CZ burning out TV's

Post by Tmclain272 »

We have a new to us 1995 Trojan 350. We are having an issue with the Kohler 6.5CZ generator frying the TV's. The first time we were out on the hook for the weekend. The bugs got bad so we decided to go down below and watch a movie. I started the generator, my wife turned on one of the TV's. I decided to make some popcorn. When I started the microwave, the TV popped. I chalked it up as an old TV. The next day we ran the AC and heard another pop sound from a second TV. This time the TV was not on when it happened.
I dug around online and have come up empty handed. I tested the outlets with the generator running and no microwave or AC load and I'm getting 108 - 110 volts. Once I turn on the microwave or AC I can hear the generator ramp up and the volts go up to 128-130 volts. I have found multiple articles that say electronics with a UL stamp on them should be safe from damage up to 169 volts.

Cut to the next weekend.
I figured it was a voltage spike that must have cause the damage. I bought a surge protector thinking this would divert any excess voltage that might have spiked when the generator ramped up to power the other appliances. I took an extra TV that we had in a spare room at home down to the boat. The TV runs fine on shore power. I decide to test my theory with the surge protector in hopes that all is taken care of. I turn on the generator and there goes another TV.

I contacted Kohler, they just gave me a phone number to a local rep that put me on a 4-6 week wait list.

Any advise or help with this is appreciated.

This is my first post, so I apologize for being long winded.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1995 Trojan 350 Kohler 6.5CZ burning out TV's

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like a voltage regulator issue or possible governor issue. It is very odd voltage goes up under load. Mine is not a Kohler but it drops slightly under high load 120 volts to 118. I would also check the HZ. You should be right around 60hz (50hz in Europe). If you find that the HZ is varying then you have a governor issue. Hz relates directly to rpm. You can get a voltmeter that has hz on it.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Tmclain272

Post by Tmclain272 »

Thank you Prowlersfish. I will have to do some research on how to check the hertz.
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

I agree with prowlersfish, odd that it would speed up under load
I’ve been working on my GenSet for some time now and I’ve been using a kilowatt monitor for checking voltage and hz (available on Amazon)
Not sure but
I think on your GenSet 60hz = 3600 rpm
I would check the carburetor, fuel supply, etc
I had a lot of erratic behavior because of a dirty carb
I know nothing about surge protectors but does seem that should have protected the tv
With the kilowatt monitor you could check that outlet when turning on the a/c or microwave
Better figure this out before you run out of tv’s
rr
10 meter mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Tmclain272 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:59 pm Thank you Prowlersfish. I will have to do some research on how to check the hertz.
Very easy just get a meter that has hz and check it at a wall plug just like you check voltage
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Tmclain272

Post by Tmclain272 »

Ok, that wont be bad. My multimeter can check hz. I was thinking that I would need to check it an output point on the generator itself.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Any outlet will work. I would use the one the tv plugs in. Get someone to change the loads while you watch it.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels