Whisperwall Headliner Replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

InvincibleSummer

Whisperwall Headliner Replacement

Post by InvincibleSummer »

We have a 1998 Trojan 440 Express with Whisperwall headliners that are currently sagging. The current vinyl is solid (non-perforated), which I believe is causing the issue since we've noticed that copious amounts of humidity causes the headliner to sag more than usual. We'd like to replace it with updated perforated vinyl so it has the ability to "breathe".

Has anyone replaced a Whisperwall headliner? If so, I'd sure love to know your experience. I am assuming that there would be no adhesive to deal with so hopefully it would be a cleaner job than trying to scrap/grind/cuss adhesive off? I'm also wondering how easy/difficult it is to stretch the vinyl for a tight looking fit and finish.
Brad
Austin TX (winter)
Saugatuck, MI (summer)
98' Trojan 440 Express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Whisperwall Headliner Replacement

Post by prowlersfish »

InvincibleSummer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:58 pm We have a 1998 Trojan 440 Express with Whisperwall headliners that are currently sagging. The current vinyl is solid (non-perforated), which I believe is causing the issue since we've noticed that copious amounts of humidity causes the headliner to sag more than usual. We'd like to replace it with updated perforated vinyl so it has the ability to "breathe".

Has anyone replaced a Whisperwall headliner? If so, I'd sure love to know your experience. I am assuming that there would be no adhesive to deal with so hopefully it would be a cleaner job than trying to scrap/grind/cuss adhesive off? I'm also wondering how easy/difficult it is to stretch the vinyl for a tight looking fit and finish.

You may want to talk to a marine upholstery shop. I have planned to replace my V-berth headliner using a perforated vinyl. I have never heard of Whisperwall headliners until our post so I looked it up. It seems to be a lot different than what I am used to. Any concerns of increased noise or loss of insulation if going with a different type? I wish I could guide you on how too but it is different to what I have seen, Have you contacted Whisperwall headliners about your issue?

Anyone else?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D