Fixing up my 440s

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: Fixing up my 440s

Post by mikeandanne »

Heh Paul that is more than 600nm, I agree wrong boat for a trip across the gulf which can be very, very bad, oil rigs, freighters, reefs ,short wave frequency and a pretty strong current. You need to be very experienced for that sort of thing. Not sure where you would put 7000lbs worth of fuel either. I think I would be going down the Florida coast.

Nothing wrong with restoring the boat, very commendable, why not re-power with up to date gas engines, pretty it up and ship it there like has been suggested. Anyway please don't take this wrong , just good advice as I see it.

Good luck with your project and have fun bonding with the kids while doing it.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Haymaker55 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:21 pm It’s got 1.5” shafts now. That would shave many things off the change list. I do agree it will be a bit over powered with this setup but where I’m headed having extra power will come in handy.
Should be 1 3/8 now mine where changed when repowered. Did you ever check the ID numbers?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JCPSr-F36
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by JCPSr-F36 »

Just offering my opinion and I agree with mikeandanne.
I was considering buying a boat that was 350 miles from my home, but could be brought home on its bottom or by transport. I calculated the costs to bring it back and there was no appreciable difference.

Transporting by truck was a little more expensive, but happens in a day or two and doesn't require me to do anything , but meet the truck at the destination.

To bring it back by water was slightly less, but factoring in fuel, food, overnight dockage and the fact that it would take between seven and 10 days to do I didn't see any cost savings. This doesn't include any problems that could/will arise.

With that said, the adventure of a long voyage was enticing as long as you have a crew that is experienced and can adapt to weather and mechanical issues. My trip would have been on protected waters. Open ocean would be a truly formidable challenge.

Good luck with your plan, just research all options.
Haymaker55

Post by Haymaker55 »

prowlersfish wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:24 am
Haymaker55 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:21 pm It’s got 1.5” shafts now. That would shave many things off the change list. I do agree it will be a bit over powered with this setup but where I’m headed having extra power will come in handy.
Should be 1 3/8 now mine where changed when repowered. Did you ever check the ID numbers?

Have not been home yet. Been in Belize finding it’s new home.
Haymaker55

Post by Haymaker55 »

JCPSr-F36 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:18 am Just offering my opinion and I agree with mikeandanne.
I was considering buying a boat that was 350 miles from my home, but could be brought home on its bottom or by transport. I calculated the costs to bring it back and there was no appreciable difference.

Transporting by truck was a little more expensive, but happens in a day or two and doesn't require me to do anything , but meet the truck at the destination.

To bring it back by water was slightly less, but factoring in fuel, food, overnight dockage and the fact that it would take between seven and 10 days to do I didn't see any cost savings. This doesn't include any problems that could/will arise.

With that said, the adventure of a long voyage was enticing as long as you have a crew that is experienced and can adapt to weather and mechanical issues. My trip would have been on protected waters. Open ocean would be a truly formidable challenge.

Good luck with your plan, just research all options.
The adventure is what we’re after. To waist such a trip on a transport would be a terrible loss in my book. We will have hurdles to figure out for sure. But, My crew can adapt to most anything being farm kids. We will shake the boat down on the 1300 mile trip to the gulf then decide our next move. I’m not looking seek a tragic end ether. If it looks to tough at the time we will fall back to the first of many backup plans. If I was looking to find the best deal municipal bonds would be a much better place to put my money. I’m looking for the experience of a lifetime. Something my kids can look back on and tell their kids about. We only get this life once I intend to use it.
Haymaker55

Post by Haymaker55 »

Now onto the nut and bolts. How big of raw water inlets will I need to cool these power plants. And banks marine is producing this motor at 575 hp/429kw for pleasure craft duty. I’m calling them on the way home to get information.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Haymaker55 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:55 am Now onto the nut and bolts. How big of raw water inlets will I need to cool these power plants. And banks marine is producing this motor at 575 hp/429kw for pleasure craft duty. I’m calling them on the way home to get information.
Banks should have guidelines for installing their engines. They will spec out water inlets sizing, exhaust sizing and needed air flow. When I do a repower I follow the guidelines. Talk to banks.

IMO As nice as a Banks/Duramax is engine It is the wrong match for an F36. The F36 was built as a cruiser not a speed boat. I would consider around 400hp as the limit of usable power on a good day. And the more power you get out of an engine the shorter the life.

With that said its your boat and your money.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Haymaker55

Post by Haymaker55 »

Seems like everything I want to do is against advice so with that in mind would the Amin. Please delete my account please. Thanks to all.
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Haymaker55 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:01 pm Seems like everything I want to do is against advice so with that in mind would the Amin. Please delete my account please. Thanks to all.
Done, I saw this coming :shock:

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

I have read through this post and I would have to say that the advice you have been given is correct.

You would be better off getting a single diesel engine Trawler.

Be aware that a lot time went into answering your questions.

You can try one of the other Trojan groups and see if you get any different answers.
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~