New Tricabin Owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

hunter754

New Tricabin Owner

Post by hunter754 »

Just bought my first tri cabin (well traded for it.)

I did NOT get a survey. (Just airing that right away)

The boat has been winterized but has not run. It was a live aboard for quite a few years. The boat is beautiful inside but suffered a small back bedroom leak I'm attempting to repair.
The previous owner looks to have replaced the back wall at some point, there is treated plywood and then there was some type of eucalyptus board or similar and then decorative wood.

I gutted all of this for water intrusion but my question is what would this board be? It was extremely thin did not seem water proof. I found a match to it at lowes but not sure it's the right application for this.

Other then that my other question is the motors have 1300 and 800 hours. Why would these be so out of sync? Besides a guage potentially failing.

I know it'll be said I should've had a survey. I looked at stringers and such myself most things look fine and I'm not afraid to do some work for the deal I got this for. What do these go for in the market? It's a 1975.

I'll reply here with some pictures of it for all the trojan fans
hunter754

Re: New Tricabin Owner

Post by hunter754 »

ImageImage
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Any outside photos? Looks like the back wall was repaired at some point. I am not sure but thinking it was plywood. as far as the hours difference the can be several causes. Bad hour meter or its wiring? Engine or trans was inop for along time or broke down a lot. As far as what the go for? Seen them given away and some go for 20k+ Not enough info to even guess on yours way too many unknowns. Area engine condition are all factors.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
hunter754

Post by hunter754 »

prowlersfish wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:56 pm Any outside photos? Looks like the back wall was repaired at some point. I am not sure but thinking it was plywood. as far as the hours difference the can be several causes. Bad hour meter or its wiring? Engine or trans was inop for along time or broke down a lot. As far as what the go for? Seen them given away and some go for 20k+ Not enough info to even guess on yours way too many unknowns. Area engine condition are all factors.
Yep heres the back! Needs a little love on the teak and all. Image
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Aft wall was plywood and made to be removable. You do have the aft engine correct? Later models had the engines under the salon floor. Aft decks were known to leak many owners fiber glass the aft decks to fix the leaks many are rotted.

Do you have the model number? Its located on plate on or by the electrical panel

I would do something about your Power cords in the water.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
hunter754

Post by hunter754 »

prowlersfish wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 am The Aft wall was plywood and made to be removable. You do have the aft engine correct? Later models had the engines under the salon floor. Aft decks were known to leak many owners fiber glass the aft decks to fix the leaks many are rotted.

Do you have the model number? Its located on plate on or by the electrical panel

I would do something about your Power cords in the water.
Yep aft engines.

The deck is already glass it seems. Just that back wall leak.

I do have a metal plate there with hull number and engine serials but no model.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The model # is part of the hull ID# You most likely have a model 440
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
hunter754

Post by hunter754 »

Yes sir 440
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

'74 Tri rear sole leak area.JPG
'74 Tri rear sole leak area.JPG (64.46 KiB) Viewed 4594 times

The sheer volume of water that pours down each side and streams over onto the sole decking will pool up and flood directly into the starboard corner you are looking at in this photo (ditto for the port side). Fibreglassing the floor and/or replacing the back wall will not halt this flooding. You must waterproof the area directly behind the corner that you are looking at in the photo. The sole floor continues sideways right out to the hull ( some ten inches) and it also continues forward directly into the aft bedroom (it becomes the shelves present on each side) The vertical 10" X 10" partitions in each corner are all there is separating the back bedroom from the outside and will need to be waterproofed from the outside.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
hunter754

Post by hunter754 »

Thanks for the info on water proofing. Going to look into that this weekend. Looks like I *may* have sealed it for now.
That corner had a leak in it I was able to seal and also a leak coming from the box that was built up at the helm station area.

Also is it okay to walk out on the bow of these in the "roof" section? IE where it's raised? Thanks!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hunter,

Congrats on the new boat. Very few boats will ride like these do. Good Luck

And yes, you can definitely walk anywhere you want to on that roof. Kids go to the side and leap off. The fibreglass on the roof is extremely thick. (I know)

BTW,.... the fibreglass on your boat is not cored. Pure, real thing. I had mine for 16 years before I purchased an '94 Trojan 370 that also had a non-cored hull.

A last bit of advice, you may believe you've solved that sole leakage problem but you will have to overkill it.

Rick
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

By the way, Hunter you mentioned the fact that you have aft engines but from the rear stateroom photo it doesn't appear so to me. Did you mean your engines were located amidship?
hunter754

Post by hunter754 »

rickalan35 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:43 pm Hunter,

Congrats on the new boat. Very few boats will ride like these do. Good Luck

And yes, you can definitely walk anywhere you want to on that roof. Kids go to the side and leap off. The fibreglass on the roof is extremely thick. (I know)

BTW,.... the fibreglass on your boat is not cored. Pure, real thing. I had mine for 16 years before I purchased an '94 Trojan 370 that also had a non-cored hull.

A last bit of advice, you may believe you've solved that sole leakage problem but you will have to overkill it.

Rick
Thanks for the answer!

And the advice. Definitely going to go over this leak a few more times. I'd rather not replace bedroom carpet and a mattress again 😂
hunter754

Post by hunter754 »

rickalan35 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:37 am By the way, Hunter you mentioned the fact that you have aft engines but from the rear stateroom photo it doesn't appear so to me. Did you mean your engines were located amidship?
Definitely aft engines.

The 2 beds that would've been in the aft state room have been bridged with a plywood lift able frame and then I put a king mattress over.
I can either flip the mattress up or crawl under to access the center engine panels.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Okay, I see now. That's a high bed. So to check the oil (to pull the dip stick upwards) you'll lift the frame. Understand now. I was looking at it wrong.

Any pics of the helm seating? Any changes up there?

Rick