Tube light in Salon 120V or 12V?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

HommeTrojan

Tube light in Salon 120V or 12V?

Post by HommeTrojan »

Greetings,

I have a 10M Express with original 36" T8 tube light on port and starboard in salon. The starboard side does not work. I assume it was the original tube light because it was extremely difficult to remove to the point I thought it might shatter as I attempted to rotate it for removal. I finally was able to remove it but it is so worn I cannot read any specs on it. There appears to be a ballast system attached to the lamp fixture. Does the ballast convert 12V to 120V to accommodate a standard T8 tube light or does this fixture call for a 12V RV/Marine light tube?

Thanks in advance
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Tube light in Salon 120V or 12V?

Post by prowlersfish »

Your wiring diagram may tell you. You also can check with Bob Cushman at Beacon Marine.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Just One More

Post by Just One More »

Generally, a ballast is used as a "starter" for fluorescent lights so that they are allowed a very quick warm up of the gases inside upon power being applied so that the sudden spike in power when the switch is turned on doesn't cause the tube to "explode". I have generally only seen these in 110v applications (not to say that 12v may use them).

A quick way to tell if the light is 110v is to turn the light on and then turn off the main AC breaker at the panel. If the light goes out it is 110v, if it stays on it is supplied by the 12v (DC) system.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I changed to LED strips, the tubes seemed to run battery down if left on too long. Now no problem.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink