wiring advise

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Agitator

wiring advise

Post by Agitator »

I've installed a rebuilt 318 in my Trojan F26. I started wiring it back up only to find the markings I made on white tape when I disassembled everything is completely gone.I think I've got everything figure out EXCEPT the battery selector switch. Its a Perko -OFF-1-both-2 switch.The way it came cannot be right! I assume one lead from the hot side of each battery to either side of the switch. Then the common from the switch should go back to the started solenoid??? Is it ok then to tie both battery negative post together and run one ground cable to the block? Just to make sure does anybody know off hand where the three terminals on the charging relay go? The voltage regulator has one plug in lead and one screw on lead, where does the screw on lead go to? Just don't want to fry anything!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I can anwers part of the question . you are correct on the battery swtich and you can tie both negative together and run 1 cable to the block . even thought I like to have a cable fron each battery go to the block .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Agitator

Thanks Prowler

Post by Agitator »

That's what I thought. I didn't mark the battery cables when I took them off or pay a lot of attention to them because that should have been self explanitory but when I went to wire it back up I found someone had added an extra cable from the hot side of one battery to the solenoid.
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

I know hind sight is 20-20, but I like to take pictures of the engine before I disassemble it. What seems to be obvious at the moment isn’t when it comes time to reassemble it. Glancing at a picture can be very helpful in refreshing the memory. This will not only help with the wiring, but with the hoses and cables.

As you are disassembling the wiring take notes and more pictures. When reassembling, start with the wires you are sure of. By the time they are hooked up it will make it more apparent where the other wires go.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's