318 engine rotation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

318 engine rotation

Post by larryeddington »

I almost hate to start this again but here goes. I have a 78 F28 with two 318 chryslers. Now I know in boating engine rotation is determined from the output side of the engine, that said, I have two paragon transmission V drives and looking at the props they are set to turn towards eachother at the bottom which is as i understand the props should turn. My engines face the stern and bothe have markings indicating rotation. The Port engine has a decal on the timing cover pointing to the right when facing the water pump (front) of the engine. The starbord has a similiar decal on the raw water pump bracked tha tindicates the sam rotation, to the right at the front of the engine. If I were to look at the back of the engines both would be turning counter clockwise.

That tells me counterintuitively that both engines are turning the same direction. Is it possible that for whatever reason the reversing is handled via my paragon V transmissions?

Looking forwar the responses.

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Does the drive not have a direction of rotation marking on it?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Its possable one V-drive could be chain drive and the other gear drive . I do not know much about paragon V drives.
you can turn the engines over and see what way they turn . If they turn the same and you have diffrent roation props then it would have to be in the drives'

Are you having any issues ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

this may help ID your gear notice the one with * revirse output

from the link http://paragonmarine.com/pmv-series.html

Model Ratio
PMV10R, PMV10L Direct
PMV100L* Direct
PMV15R, PMV15L
PMV150L* 1.52:1
PMV20R, PMV20L 1.96:1
PMV200L* 1.96:1
PMV25R, PMV25L 2.58:1
PMV250L* 2.58:1

Note: R or L suffix on model designation refers to engine output rotation. All models provide same output as engine rotation except * above. Models PMV100L, PMV150L, PMV200L, PMV250L provide output opposite to engine rotation.

Note: Horsepower ratings are furnished as a guide only. Please request our recommendations for proper selection.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

engine rotation

Post by larryeddington »

Thanks, I am going to take a can of cleaner and clean off the tags and see exactly what I have. I have not checked visually the rotation, but will, I will get back. Going to put fresh engines in and both turning the same way makes easier, cams etc. :D. Heretofore I assumed one of the engines was counter, but now, I am leaning the other way. will let you all know the results.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Engine Rotation of F28

Post by larryeddington »

See pics, the port enging has arrow on timing cover indicating it is a counterclockwise engine from output end., CW from front. The starboard enging has a similiar arrow poingting down on the raw water pump bracket. It is the same sticker (My cleaner almost erased it see pic)as on the port engine, but now after turning starboard enging it is clear to me that that sticker indicates the correct rotation for the raw water pump on the engine. So the starboard enging turns CCW from Front and CW from output end.

Sorry I cannot upload the pics, the arrow decals are orange and say rotation and pointed at one end.

I think weve got it.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

sounds like you have counter rotating engines you will need to stay with the same or change one 1 trans/v-drive
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Engint rotation

Post by larryeddington »

I will absoluely replace with the same rotation, but the V configuration makes it confusing. My starbord turns cw from the rear which in normal configuration woul be port engine, apparently it is reversed via the Transmission. My port engine definitely turn ccw. I believe the starboard to be what is refered to as the reveresed or backward rotating engine. I cranked them both and above are my visual confirmations.

CW at waterpump end = CCW at the flywheel end and vice versa.

How can something so simple wind up being so hard to get clarity?
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Engine rotaion will drive you NUTs :shock: the normal engine ( CCW at the flywheel end ) is normaly on the port ( left) side
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels