1954 12' Angler -- Have Questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TagFish

1954 12' Angler -- Have Questions

Post by TagFish »

I have a 12 foot Trojan Sportsman that I'm thinking of selling. I bought it several years ago with the intention of restoring it and have never started the project. I did some research when I first found the boat sitting in a barn in upstate NY and learned the hull # is stamped in the wood on the transom support. The number on this hull is B 4 038. The 4 is for 1954 and the 038 is the 38th boat built in 1954. According to the info I dug up only about 140 of these were ever built. Also as I understand it, the center deck on this model was an option and this one has the center deck with the metal Trojan logo. If all that info is correct this may be a fairly rare find. At sometime over the years the outside of the hull was covered with some type of fiberglass mesh coating. This seems to be fairly easy to remove by just peeling it off. I did some of the transom and it was not difficult to remove. My question is what would be a fair price for this gem in the rough. I live in Lancaster County, PA and have the boat in my garage on a rolling stand. If anyone out there can give me some insight as to the value that would be Great!!! I have lots of pictures available to email....Thanks, Fred
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Fred,

HI! You live in Trojan Country out there in PA. I have a '61 Ski Bee 17' runabout. You may want to also post your questions in the Runabout Group forum. There are a bunch of us with the small Trojans out there, and we usually don't have much in common with the big yachts. That sounds like an interesting boat you have. You might get an answer to your questions about value from one of the other owners of small Trojans who know about this site. I know of a couple of people who are restoring them, and if you want to receive an e-mail, just send me yours and I'll let them know how to get in touch.

Thanks for the info on the transom support location for the hull id. I've been looking for that number since I bought mine in the late 80's with no luck. I'll concentrate the search on the transom now. Which side was your number on?

The fiberglass laminate is pretty common on these boats. That's how they've survived I think. Mine had it on the bottom when I got it. It wasn't a very good job so I fixed it up. If the wood underneath is good, and the owner doesn't mind taking really good care of it, the 'glass can be removed, but you might want to let the next owner (if you sell it) decide what they want to do.

Let me know if you want to get in touch with our Trojan runabout "users group."
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)