FUEL SNIFFERS?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

FUEL SNIFFERS?

Post by foofer b »

Do many of you have a fuel sniffer in your engine compartment? Do you always run the blower? Or will opening the hatch and smelling be enuff?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I don't have a fume detector, though I'm thinking of installing one. As for the blower, I always use it and also lift the hatch to take a quick sniff
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i have 2 actually but they also monitor other things see link.
one came with the boat and i found the other on ebay and got a real deal on it. i purchased a new sensor for the original even though it still would detect fumes by using the manufacturers method of verification but i wasnt sure how old it was. was cheap insurance i figured

http://www.mtiindustries.com/ms2.htm

i have the sa10-xl model
i have set one of them up to monitor fume and the other 2 alarms on it i have set to monitor the engine exhaust temp on each engine so that if i have a rise in my exhaust temp i will get an alarm and indicator.
the other unit is set up as designed fume,water, and fire (hope never to have that one go off)
i also open the engine hatch before starting the engines when i first get to the boat and take a sniff
i probably should run the blower more than i do but i will run it when starting and until i start moving.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
BobCT
Active User

I have the Xintex unit, about $200

Post by BobCT »

I just have one sensor in the engine room but I could hook up a second.

Bob
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

A fume detector is a great thing to have , But you should always take a sniff and run the blower before starting , think of the fume detector as a back up for your noise .

The great thing about a fume detector is it is always sniffing when you using the boat as you can't always have you noise in the bilge .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Blower always runs for at least 5 minutes before I start up. I often do the sniff test but not religiously. If there are any fumes they will be vacated by the blower, and I will likely smell them at least a bit when the blower blows them outside. I do have a fume sniffer as well as a CO2 sniffer, but don't typically use them - they are the originals on the boat, and at 30 years old, not sure if I trust them enough to use them. Also they are mounted at the lower station, while I tend to be up top on the bridge while running.
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

i have a scentry unit, mounted just below the window by the lower helm. i also run the blowers for at least three or four minutes....usually longer...before starting the engines. i also run the blowers before firing up the genset as well.

i dunno...i just have this thing about going "boom!" :)
Terran
1986 Silverton 40' Aftcabin

Terran
(former 1977 F-32)
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

[quote="captainmaniac"] I often do the sniff test but not religiously. If there are any fumes they will be vacated by the blower, and I will likely smell them at least a bit when the blower blows them outside.

Of course the idea is NO fumes. If the blower is blowing fumes don't start the engine until you find out where they are coming from.

On my '74 Trojan tri cabin it sounds like the Howard Hughs "Spruce Goose" when I turn on the blowers. 4 of them. 2 at each engine and 2 in the midship where the Gennie is. I also have a sniffer but I make a habit of getting off the boat with the blowers on and sniff the air coming out the vents. I also run my blowers when I am underway at lower speeds or with a stearn wind when there is little air circulation through the natural vents. The aft cabin gets a bit smelly and hot otherwise.

This is one of the most important lessons in boating 8) jimbo36
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Ok mine died today. It knew I just know it. And yes I'll replace it soon. If you don't have one please get one and run your blowers before starting and at low speeds and with the gen set running. And you guys with the fuel oil burners your batteries are down there. (No spell check on the blackberry)
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Sea Play'n

sniffer for gas fumes

Post by Sea Play'n »

I believe it is regulation to use the blower for at least 4 min before starting either a main engine or the genset. The reason to do a sniff test of the blower exhaust is to detect any trace of gasoline. Obviously if there is any, it is time to delay the start and investigate. A wise old Coast Guard inspector conducting an inspection on my first inboard boat told me the best gas sniffer in the world was in the middle of my face. The human nose is very sensitive to gasoline vapour. Use it religiously and you will never have a problem.
I have an electronic sniffer (Scentry), but it is a backup.
21174U

Marine Fume Sniffers

Post by 21174U »

I recently installed the Xintex M-2A-R 2 Channel Gasoline Fume Detector in my 1987 SeaRay Sundancer. The boat is a little older but I got a great deal on it but it isn't without its fair share of problems. "The M-2A-R gas fume detector features include two-channel monitoring capability, plug-in sensors (second sensor optional), fault light alarm, fault lights to indicate a malfunction in either the module or one of the sensors." Thing has run like a champ so far. I bought it from a Boat Depot These guys seem to be really competitively priced but their site is kinda hard to navigate.
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I have a sniffer and use it always. I also run the blowers and sniff the air coming out.......I think a sniffer is a "must have"..........John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Still can not beat your nose for smelling fumes or spam . :roll:

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
gettaway
Active User

Re: Marine Fume Sniffers

Post by gettaway »

21174U wrote:I recently installed the Xintex M-2A-R 2 Channel Gasoline Fume Detector in my 1987 SeaRay Sundancer. The boat is a little older but I got a great deal on it but it isn't without its fair share of problems. "The M-2A-R gas fume detector features include two-channel monitoring capability, plug-in sensors (second sensor optional), fault light alarm, fault lights to indicate a malfunction in either the module or one of the sensors." Thing has run like a champ so far. I bought it from a Boat Depot These guys seem to be really competitively priced but their site is kinda hard to navigate.
This post seems more like an ad than a real post, notice the "sea ray" and the thread is from quite a while back...hmmmm :roll: :?
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I have a Sentry. Its the dual station model from the Roosevelt (Teddy) era. I never use it. It probably works just fine, but I trust myself more than it. Just haven't gotten around to getting rid of it. Its not causing any harm, but eventually it will go in the 'seconds' pile.

BTW. Fume Sniffer sounds like Gas Huffer. Its a bit of a dogberryism.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.