Local Trojan 32 for sale story

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

297Elegante
Sporadic User

Local Trojan 32 for sale story

Post by 297Elegante »

Recently I had stopped into the local parts store down the street from my boat club, to grab a few items. In waiting for the parts gentleman I overheard a customer asking about a few boats on their "For Sale" wall. The customer asked about half the boats, and I paid attention, seeing as though I had nothing else to occupy my time. I heard him ask about a Trojan F32. The salesman quickly stopped him and said no. He mentioned this boat had a survey done recently and they found stringer rot throughout. The customer asked about how severe the issue was, and the salesman described the boat as trashed, possibly the worst they have heard/seen.

Their conversation ended, I got my parts and on the way out stopped by the bulletin board. Well low and behold, I check into the F32 and the description definately does not indicate an issue with any structural damage. My guess was they had a recent survey done and had not updated the board.

In my searchings online I stumbled by the boat again, and sure enough, there is no mention of issues on the internet ad either, and the price is a premium for this boat, in my book. I wonder if I heard them wrong, but there were no other Trojans, and the salesmans description made this sound like a derilect boat that he wouldn't step foot on. She is a very pretty boat otherwise, and I sure hope I did misunderstand their conversation.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... yachtsales&
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Interesting story and should hasten everyone to let the buyer beware, and if you have a boat for sale - get a thorough and legitimate survey done to put all fears to rest.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

could be true OR, perhaps the counter guy didn't want interest in the boat for his own reasons???

If I were interested in a boat that someone was bad mouthing, I'd certianly ask very pointed questions about the stated deficiencies and gauge the owners responses. If they seemed legit, I'd even look to confirm these things myself prior to paying for a survey BUT what I wouldn't do- is walk away from a boat on the basis of a strangers free advice. It's likely only worth what was paid for it.
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Interesting story, though unless I'm hearing it from the surveyor I'd take it with a grain of salt. It's amazing how much a story can change from one person to another. Though I would always get a survey from an accredited surveyor

When I had my repower done in 2002, I had both of my engine bearing stringers replaced by the yard that did the repower. Mine weren't too bad, though they did bring it to my attention as something I might want to address. They specialized in major refits from small jobs such as mine all the way up to megayachts and was told it wasn't too difficult a job for them, as the engine/trans were already out. So I had two engine bearing stringers built, high density foam with a 1/2" SS plate embedded, drilled/tapped and now have machine screw threads instead of lag bolts holding my engine mounts. They did an excellent job on them.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

some F32s had stringer issues the parts guy may have assumed this one did . or maybe it did , would you expect the seller to post it ? He may disclose it to a possible buyer ( or not) .

Bottom line you don't know untill you look at it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I heard from a friend who knows the parts guys cousin that the boat owner is a hot divorcee who just broke up with the parts guy because he didn't know how to please her.

At least that's what I heard...

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

RWS wrote:I heard from a friend who knows the parts guys cousin that the boat owner is a hot divorcee who just broke up with the parts guy because he didn't know how to please her.

RWS
or you serious, or pulling a "tuck"?
Terran
1986 Silverton 40' Aftcabin

Terran
(former 1977 F-32)
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

survey says!!!
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

survey says , only a Tuck can't see when a Tuck is pulled
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. :wink:
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

I will admit, the parts guy seemed honest, and the gentleman looking for a boat didn't seem to have any solid idea of what he wanted. He eneded up looking at a 37' Sea Ray Sedan bridge, but his wife did not like it. He probably asked questions about half the boats on the board.

I would assume anyone looking to toss $30K down on a boat would invest in a solid survey.

Is there a "law" on the books though, that if a dealer/broker knows about a deficiency, he has to disclose it?
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

prowlersfish wrote:survey says , only a Tuck can't see when a Tuck is pulled
not fair. funny...but not fair. :P

i learned LONG ago that even the most outlandish crap can be true. especially when it comes to motivations stemming from spiteful relationships and the ending thereof.
Terran
1986 Silverton 40' Aftcabin

Terran
(former 1977 F-32)
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

RWS wrote:I heard from a friend who knows the parts guys cousin that the boat owner is a hot divorcee who just broke up with the parts guy because he didn't know how to please her.

RWS
Guess his stringers were rotten too .... ;-)
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17