F44 MY with cummins 903v8's

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jimbo36
Moderate User

F44 MY with cummins 903v8's

Post by jimbo36 »

I have had my eye on a 1974 Trojan F44 Motoryacht at Bridge Yachts on lake Erie (Canada) for some time now. I have not physically looked at the boat because of poor reports on the Cummins engines. :? They are 310 hp 903 V8's. I have heard they are hard to get parts for, they are gutless and have issues with cylinder heads. Any opinions? It is down to $69,900.00 and looks like a nice boat. I will be going to a motor yacht within the next couple of years. I am looking for the right boat for the Great Loop. :) Obviously, I want diesel power but I want dependable engines. jimbo36
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

poor reports on the Cummins engines ? Great engines BUT ! When you are looking at a engine that has not been made in 20 plus years then can be hard to get parts for and you can pay a lot for them . this goes for a lot of older engines / It can be a V8 cummins or a old Cat even a Detroit diesel like the 671 are getting a little harder to find parts for . even thou those will have mose parts available for years to come as there so many of them . try and find exhust manifold parts for a 8.2 DD not easy . So this is not a Cummins issue . a Cummins B like mine will have parts for years to come as the so many made .Cummins parts are the cheapest of all , as long as its some thing near current .

The 903 is a great engine , but its time maybe past. still could be a relable engine but if something goes you could be down for a while

gutless ???? huh ???
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Guttless as in Chevy 307 :lol: :arrow:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

903 CID and 320 hp make for a very tough engine lots of toque . the only issue is parts , it they where easy to find then I would give the engine 5 stars . But good is even the best engine made if needs a pump and you can't find it ?

I would recc you check on parts before you buy maybe the owner has a good source ? find out who then call and see . I did not say inmposable to find just hard .and that means $$$$
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Paul, Thanks for the input. :) Not sure where I read the Gutless comment. When I got interested in the boat I searched on line for reports and this is what came up. i.e. various deisel engine sites. With the prospects of doing the loop sometime down the line, my goal would be to find a boat with DEPENDABLE engines. I have given consideration to possibly repowering my F36 Tri cabin with say, new 230 hp yanmars at about 70K :shock: But then I see nicer boats available for less than I would have into my Trojan. In your opinion, what diesel engines are the best? Bearing in mind that, for cost reasons, it would be an older boat. My budget would be up to 100K. jimbo36
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Any other diesel gearheads out there? :lol: Love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks guy's. :wink: jimbo36
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Hey Jimbo.... I think that boat's been listed for about 3 years now. A couple of years back I was talking to the broker about it - back then I think they were asking $129K or something like that. Broker basically lowered his voice and told me the owner was dreaming, that it wasn't that nice... etc... And here we are 2-3 years later and they still have no sale.

I have never seen the boat myself, but when the listing broker tries to warn you, the alarm bells go off to make sure you take a good look before you get too serious about it. I think those pictures are the same ones they put up when the listing first came out .. so odds are it doesn't look quite the same now. 'Lifestyle change' for current owner probably means 'can no longer afford it', so the boat might have suffered a bit.

I think the boat does actually sit in Port Dover. Good luck, and if you decide to go take a look-see make sure to let us know what you think of it. (personally, the 46 Bertram makes me drool more!!)
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Jimbo,

Join BoatDisel.com for $25/year ad you'll get a ton of insight from real 903 owners.

I agree with Paul that it will be difficult to get parts when you need them, but you may find a good source on BoatDiesel. Tony knows his stuff on there - and there are tons of other owners who chime in.

I, for one, will never buy a gas (now corn) powered large boat again. I simply can't deal with the government mandating corn fuel that goes bad and causes me so many problems. I'm tired of dealing with bad fuel, water, points, condensors, coils, spark plugs, wires, timing and the risk of fire. When I go out and start (not I didn't say "to start", as they ALWAYS start) my Cummins - they always start. My new 454 in my 26 is another story - always requiring work since E10 (and now E15) has been mandated here in the states.

I have 2 OBs as well, so I'm stuck there . I use the skiff a lot, but my 18'er with a Yamaha 200 is a pain to keep fuel fresh in.

I'd lok at the boat - it may do vetry well on the Great Loop - especially if you don;t run it hard (but vary the speed). Its a buyers market ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Just to touch on E-15 the US House killed all EPA funding for it.
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Thanks everyone. captainM, Yes, the price when I first saw it was 99K. The Bertram IS awesome. 8) I just did the boat show in Hamilton and Bridge Yachts was in a booth near mine (Parkbridge Marina's). I tryed to get the inside info on the Bertram but he was not too informative regarding the sellers situation. I plan on keeping my eye on it for sure. :lol: jimbo36.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

A little more info on the specs... this picture is more current I think.

http://www.boatcan.com/showboat.php?ad=985097881
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Thanks captain, I think it may be a project boat. Which is fine if the price is right and the mechanicals check out o.k. Every boat I have owned was a project. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Why am I laughing? jimbo36
mitch
Sporadic User

Price Trojan F44 Too High

Post by mitch »

Hello, Bought 1978 Trojan F44, 9/15/2010, 55K, with fresh 440's, his price too high
Please repy, Thanks Mitch
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Diesel adds $$$$ to a boats price 14k more for diesels ? well worth the difference even being older diesels. of course condtion is unknow

Welcome to the forums
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Agree #2 oil burners due seem to be holding 10 to 15 k over gas. What's your gas burn per hr with that big boat and 440's.
Last edited by alexander38 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !