1979 F36 Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tfcp

1979 F36 Trojan

Post by tfcp »

I have started to gut out my V berth area does anyone know the type of covering which is on the bulkhead and where I could obtain it. It feels like some sort of vinyl but I am not sure. :?:
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I gutted my 1980 F-36 two years ago and it was a major job. The stuff on the walls and bulkheads felt like vinyl or rubber based material, looked like burlap on the outside, and was glued on with atomic glue. Some places it pulled the top layer of plywood off. I had to fair the walls with putty and sand it smooth before applying the new vinyl wallpaper. Good luck!!
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

interior

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

when I redid the interior of my F26 I replaced the vinyl with indoor outdoor carpeting (Bought at Lowes). Its available in a number of colors-Burgundy, Green, Gray. Has a nice rubber backing and nice pattern. It can be glued up with adhesive used for indoor\outdoor carpet. What ever you do make sure you save the old material to use for a pattern.
Paul
Active User

Vinyl

Post by Paul »

We' ve just finished removing the vinyl covering from the bulkheads in our F-26. Like Dan said, "it was glued on with atomic glue". Some of the glue, and wood, came off with the vinyl but the rest of the glue had to be removed with a heat gun and scraper at a slow rate of a couple inches at a time. We filled and sanded all of the voids to get a nice smooth surface to which we are applying a layer of teak venir. When we are finished, the bulkheads will match the cabinets and trim.

Hope This Helps
Paul
Cruise Control
JuiceClark
Moderate User

vinyl

Post by JuiceClark »

Sounds good Paul. I just reglued mine on the corners where it was peeling and painted it semi-gloss white...looks at least bright and not bad.

When in doubt, put a small screw in it and hang a picture!

By the way, JoAnne's Fabric stores also have that heavy, textured vinyl in rolls. I was going to put blue up over the old stuff...but it was kind of expensive. That's when I got out the paint roller.
dollarbill1963

White paint does the trick

Post by dollarbill1963 »

White paint makes it look like grass cloth wall paper and updates look and lightens the interior up. Sets off the wood nicely also. I would give the paint trick a try before removing.
SCARGO

Covering

Post by SCARGO »

WE redid our V-berth walls 75 - 36ft TRI_CABIN with a material with a burlap feel and a old world map print on it .hard to describe but we found it at Joanne Fabrics in Allen Park Mi. Looks great. We also used it for our wood valances atop our windows.