heat exchanger zinc size

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jim E.

heat exchanger zinc size

Post by Jim E. »

Hi Everyone, I have a question about my zincs in the HX's on my GM 350 crusaders (1988ish). I need to know what size zincs to put back, the old were gone when I pulled the plugs, only green corrosions was left. I bought the boat last year, 1978 F32 sedan 321, so I don't know when they were ever changed before. I have some zincs that thread into the plug but do not fit into the hole in the tank. The shaft of the zinc is 1/2" in diameter, the threads are 3/8". The plug itself uses a 11/16" wrench. I 've been cleaning out the holes and they're getting larger but I'm afraid of taking out metal instead of corrosion. Should this 1/2" zinc fit in the heat exchanger? Or do I need to go to a thinner one?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

sounds like corrosion is blocking the hole to me

And welcome to the site
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Remove the end plate on the exchanger and clean out the old zinc. If needed run a tap in the hole to clean up the threads. (can get a tap loaner from auto store).
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

I've problems with some of my replacement zincs, and had to grind the edges off the end a little to get them to fit correctly.
Jim E.

Post by Jim E. »

Thanks guys!