Water in engine head

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dodgeem

Water in engine head

Post by dodgeem »

So today I was checking things out and I noticed my heat exchanger was a low on water, as I was adding water I noticed there was a drip coming from the interior side of the port engine between the head and the exhaust manifold. After taking off the manifold I noticed that there was a puddle sitting in the head beside the valve...How much trouble am I in here? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

1975 F-36
1993 Pro-Line center console
TurboTim

Post by TurboTim »

Sounds like a cracked head. You can get a pressure checker and pressurize it to confirm. Anyway you look at it. You will have to take off head to repair.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Water or coolant ? Is the manifold fresh water cooled or raw water ? It could have come from the manifold .

Do you have 440s ? any running issues befor this ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dodgeem

Post by dodgeem »

I had just recently had the heat exchanger repaired so I was just running water...good idea to put soem antifreeze in to get a true picture where it's coming from. I was more concerned when I saw it leaking as I filled the exchanger

1975 F-36
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

really would you ever consider doing that to your car? you do realize that marine engines are run much harder than almost all others
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Like Paul said, we need more info on the type of cooling system you have. But if you saw water next to a valve when you removed the exhaust manifold then it was an exhaust valve and it can really only come from the head or exhaust manifold. Let us know the answer to Paul's questions, and did you happen to notice any water in the manifold's matching exhaust port?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
dodgeem

Post by dodgeem »

They are 440's it's a closed water cooling system. I really didn't pay attention if there was water in the cooresponding manifold port. I am going to check it out more today.

1975 F-36
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I take it the manifolds are raw water cooled and not part of the FWC circuit? Give a look-see and let us know.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
dodgeem

Post by dodgeem »

they are raw water cooled...more bad news...water in the oil. Not a good day.

1975 F-36
JonChristman

Post by JonChristman »

YIKES!
Jon
Former Owner of F-26 "Tir Nan Og"
and looking for another Trojan
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

OUCH! :( :( And you just bought that last fall didn't you? Hopefully you can get away with a new set of heads and manifolds? :?:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
dodgeem

Post by dodgeem »

Meeting the old owner and boat mechanic at the boat Friday, he claims possible blown head gasket. He's bringing test equipment, my first response is to see how he swims holding the anchor but I am going to give him a chance. My big problem is the wife and I are in love with this style of boat, no one makes anything like it anymore.

1975 F-36
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You have had the boat for about 8 months ? I see no reason to be mad with the previous owner . a head or head gasket is not a big deal so hopefully you'll be going soon .

You still got time to get it ready and go to Rock Hall or kinsale , you half way betwwen them , hard choice. :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dodgeem

Post by dodgeem »

8 Months and about 10 minutes of runtime between a blown manifold gasket, overheating and now this. I not too upset, I mean it's a boat but things like no thermostat and 5200 on the heat exchanger have led me to what kind of mechanic he is.

1975 F-36
9rock
Sporadic User

Post by 9rock »

dodgeem wrote:8 Months and about 10 minutes of runtime between a blown manifold gasket, overheating and now this. I not too upset, I mean it's a boat but things like no thermostat and 5200 on the heat exchanger have led me to what kind of mechanic he is.
How much water in the oil ,, it could be the gasket or a cracked head or block,,block least likely.. manifolds and risers are matinace no matter fresh or salt water,,
the no themastat obviously means he was chasing a problam the beauty of a partly or fully closed system is the loss of coolant is a sieren to what could end up as a bigger problam,, so u may have caught it in time

I have a simaler problam I am losing coolant but have no water in the oil runs all day trolling or up to about 2000 rpm after that temp starts to slowly rise at 5 miles at 2500 temp goes from 160 - 200

Hope its the lesser of the evil keep us posted