F32 Aground on CT River?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

297Elegante
Sporadic User

F32 Aground on CT River?

Post by 297Elegante »

Not sure if anyone from the website happens to own or know the boat. This past Sunday, at about 4:00 pm, coming back in from a day on the boat, I noticed an F32 out of the channel on a well known portion of very shallow water. I guess the area is an "underwater island" and notorious for ruining running gear. This F32 was being helped by the local Police boat. I had to assume he ran aground, the police boat had a scuba diver taking off his gear as I passed by.
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Guess noone knows the boat. Saw her on land this past weekend. Props, shafts, rudders, etc all removed and the keel had some marks on it. Sad to see, but the boat appears to be getting fixed and looks like it should be back in the water (the travel lift is still around it, and it's blocked out in front of the launch area) reletively soon.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Where on the CT river? I was up there for the first time a few weeks ago on the way to Essex Marina. A friend told me about the sandbar too but he didn't know where it was.

Is it uncharted? That's scary, maybe I went over by 6" and didn't even know it.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

This happened in Portland. From what I am told it isn't a sand bar but a rocky underwater "island". It is known by those in the area from what I gather and I would have to look on my charts, but it is definately known and marked. It takes up about 3/4 of the river width in this stretch, so someone unfamiliar would really need to pay attention to the bouys.

Essex is quite a ways down river from this area though, so you might have gone over a different sand bar, but not this underwater danger.
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

it was not I
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

Thanks for posting MTP. Had me worried you may have put the old girl up on the rocks.