What Do You Guys Think About Re-Using These Seacocks ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Natchamp
Sporadic User

What Do You Guys Think About Re-Using These Seacocks ?

Post by Natchamp »

I was planning on getting some new seacocks but wondering now if I should just use what I have. They clean up pretty nice. I know they are kind of a pain to operate since you have to loosen the "T" handle before operating the valve. I don't mind getting new ones but there are plenty of other things to spend money on with this project. What do you guys think?

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

They look to be in good shape. As long as they don't leak, I'd use them.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Useable for sure although I'm not a fan.

If your diligent with maintenance (cleaning/grease/proper use), they work and last a long time. If you neglect them (as most do), they can be a pain when you need them most. I prefer newer (full port) teflon sealed ball valves.
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

I removed mine had them glass beaded and powder coated, reassembled them and lubricated. I work them every year and they have been in use for 11 years with no problems.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

mine leaked so I replaced them with a Groco ball style. I have a flush out which sits on top of the seacock and the two handed operation every flush was a pain.

Worst case, you can replace them at some point but now would be the ideal time to do it. They don't make a direct flange replacement for that style and you have some glass work to do anyway.

If you decide to replace them later on, you'll have to fill the old holes and re-drill for a 3 bolt flange. I'm sure you can sell yours for something, I even got about $30 just for scrap on the old ones.

Bob

P.S. - If you decide to keep them and want to add the flush port, I have the bronze adapters from my old setup.
1988 10m mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

BobCT wrote:mine leaked so I replaced them with a Groco ball style. I have a flush out which sits on top of the seacock and the two handed operation every flush was a pain.

Worst case, you can replace them at some point but now would be the ideal time to do it. They don't make a direct flange replacement for that style and you have some glass work to do anyway.

If you decide to replace them later on, you'll have to fill the old holes and re-drill for a 3 bolt flange. I'm sure you can sell yours for something, I even got about $30 just for scrap on the old ones.

Bob

P.S. - If you decide to keep them and want to add the flush port, I have the bronze adapters from my old setup.
=========================================

+1

It will NEVER be as EASY to do as it is NOW !

This is an IMPORTANT safety feature for any boat, especially one in the water!

A penny saved today could cost you more time AND cost down the road or perhaps even the whole boat later...

Ball valves, Baby !

The only way to handle ANY raw water inlet !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

All good points and info. I'm leaning towards installing new seacocks. But I'm having trouble figuring out the best layout. I would like to add the functionality of having the motor pumps act as bilge pumps incase of emergencies. To do that I've come up with 2 scenarios outlined below. Both have pros/cons the way I see it. I'd be very interested in your opinions!

Option 1

Uses a 3-way Croco valve - Cost @ $650

Pros - Uses just 1 valve, provides "tidy" installation and operation.

Cons - Costs more. Has to be 1.5" because they don't make the 3-way valves in 1.25". I don't like the "screw on" valve, doesn't seem to be as strong as a flange with an incorporated valve as in option 2.

Option 2

Uses Crogo Integrated base w/ Valve - Cost @ $600

Pros - Stronger base for load distribution because of integrated valve. Less cost.

Cons - Uses 2 valves. Might take up more space for packaging.

What do you guys think? Excuse me if you think I'm over analyzing this but I always like to plan everything out and think things through. I'm leaning towards option 1 but would love your opinions. I also have installation qustions but I'll wait to ask those.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I'll send along photos of my crash pumps with the fresh water flushing tee later on today.

Yours will be a slightly smaller size with the 454's. I think mine are 2" for the diesels.

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Natchamp wrote: Cons - Costs more. Has to be 1.5" because they don't make the 3-way valves in 1.25". I don't like the "screw on" valve, doesn't seem to be as strong as a flange with an incorporated valve as in option 2.
Have you looked at these: $71 for 1 1/4"
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/APOLLO ... Pid=search
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

Hey, that looks promising. I looked up the specs and talked to the manufactures rep. They are indeed marine rated and used for marine applications all the time according to them. These valves do have positive shut-off which some of the generic 3-ways I looked at didn't. Thanks for the info.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Groco sells a flush/crash valve. Check out the SSC-1250 which installs right on top of the seacock. That way it's just 2 pieces for each engine.

That's what I did, replacing the same setup you have now. I made new backing plates for the 3 bolt flange seacocks. I used marine grade ply and about 3 coats of epoxy. Don't skimp here, there's always rainwater in the bilge and the backing plates are wet a lot of the time.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. I looked at those but I don't like how there is no provision for a hose barb. So, with no hose barb I can't route a hose to the lowest point in the bilge. Unless I'm missing something they will only function when the water level reaches the valve level. Which in my case would be rather high because they would be on the fore end of the motor room.
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Just make sure they are big enough to flow what your cooling system requires. The Granger valve does not appear to be full port (lists -"standard port"). I would make sure you get valves where the smallest apperture (usually the ball-hole) is at least as large as your engine manufacturer recommends for flow.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Here's my very simple crash pump setup.

Any water sucked in would gave to fo through the strainer.

I have since added a quick disconnect "plug" to avoid a serious problem in the event the fresh water flush ball valve was to get bumped.

no more bungee cord!

RWS

Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Mark - Groco does make an adapter with a screen which can be plugged into the port in the event you need it. In my case, the valve sits on top of the seacock so probably 10-12" of water before water would flow in. I'm ok with that, it's the lowest part of the bilge and would be nowhere near deep enough to effect the engines running. The adapter that comes with it has a standard hose connection on one end so you could easily keep a 1-2' piece of flexible hose attached to get to the bottom of the bilge.

They don't show you this mystery part in their pics, but each SSC comes with one so you'll have two.This is what I use to winterize as well.

I permanently attached a copper basket in front of my battery compartment so all this stuff is right there in case of emergency.
1988 10m mid cabin