F31 and Restorations

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rojayva

F31 and Restorations

Post by rojayva »

Hi Forum Members. This is Rojayva from Fredericksburg, Virginia. I haven't really posted before so I guess I'll jump in now with some general comments.
I have a 1972 Trojan F31 in Dahlgren, VA. I bought it on Ebay from a donation organization for about $5500. It was in the Baltimore Inner Harbour where someone had been using it for a floating weekend retreat. I don't think it had been run for about 3 or 4 years. Long story short, I got it running and drove it the 150 miles or so up the Potomac to Dahlgren. I've spent a little time restoring it, mostly mechanical stuff, but not nearly enough. I like the boat a lot but I have three boats and need to get rid of two of them. I just don't have time to work on all of them. I really like restoring boats, maybe as much as actually using them!
One of my other boats is a 29ft Chris Craft Catalina Sportsman(?) where a prior restorer tore off the entire top, put new marine plywood down, then a cabin top from a Broadwater, and a flybridge on top of that. It's a pretty good setup and has a single Chrysler 440 in it which will move the boat at a good 30mph (when it's in the water). I have it drydocked in Fairview Beach. I'm tempted to keep that one because of the good, solid decks and single engine (rebuilt a lot of it), with new Edelbrock carb, and electronic distributor. It only burns about 8 gals/hr.
So my dilemma is which one to sell? Well, I like the Trojan because it's bigger, has two engines (in case one quits), and is much further along as far as being comfortable to overnight on .. but it burns about 14 gals/hr. I like the Chris Craft because it has good solid decks and the engine is in really good condition with rebuilt heads and the stuff I mentioned above, and freshly painted engine. Actually the engine compartment is the best looking part of the boat. Again, the single engine which gets good gas mileage. They're both almost exactly the same layout, forward V-berth, convertible dinette, couch which makes into twin single bunks, but the Chris Craft has a single aft berth also.
Ok, I don't know what point I'm trying to make with my large posting. Maybe just to shout out and connect with other boat restorers. Maybe to try to get a little more incentive to get up off my couch and get to work on these boats, and maybe just to say hello!
I have had a fair amount of experience restoring cars and boats, including the engines and other mechanical issues, searching for parts, substituting parts, and just making do. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to chime in when I know what I'm talking about. :-)
Rojayva
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

hi and welcome to the forum,

I guess as input to your post, you will have to decide which boat is suited best for you and how you plan to use the boat

I happen to be a singe engine fan.
rojayva

Keeping the Trojan - Spiderweb cracks

Post by rojayva »

Ok, update to my own post. I've decided to keep the Trojan. I've had to spend some money on it recently and now both engines seem to be running very well. This boat has too many good features going for it, to sell it for next to nothing. Just put a new Edelbrock marine carb on it, which made a huge difference, and rebuilt the water pump, a Sherwood D65.
The biggest problem I'll be facing in the future is some slight soft spots in the cockpit and some in the deck at the bow, and a LOT of spider web cracks all over. It looks like I'll be putting in a lot of manual labor. I understand some people have replaced the plywood sandwich in the cockpit deck with some type of pre-made plastic board. Does anyone have experience with this?
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Welcome to the forum! I would have someone look at the boat and check it out, if not a professional survey then at least a person who has experience . I'd definately check the stringers, these old Trojans had them made out of wood and they can and do rot, I've never done a cockpit before, i was lucky enough to buy mine with a newer one (glass over plywood) but i'm sure someone will chime in. This is a great forum with a lot of fot smellers..? I mean smart fellas !
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

welcome along side... :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the forum and the Trojan family
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome aboar
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

The deck is end core balsa under the glass not plywood.

John
1973 F-31