Generators

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhanger

Generators

Post by jhanger »

Has anyone tried using a Generac Guardian RV unit in their trojan?? I'm looking to replace a 20 year old Onan.
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

I have already installed an inverter and yanked my Genie this year, I plan on installing a secondary , independant inverter as a get home solution. When you need Orville Redenbachers you cannot survive without it. :P :P :P
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

In 2003 I got rid of my unreliable, potentially DEADLY Onan 6.5 and replaced it with a 5.5 diesel running on it's own seperate tank.

WHAT A MIRACULOUS DIFFERENCE THAT MADE !

RWS
P.S. The diesel is certified to run in a gas environment !
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The diesel is certified to run in a gas environment ??????
who makes it ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Here's the website address and some info. I've had mine since 2003, and it's been flawless.

http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/

REVOLUTIONARY 5kw GEN-SET FEATURES COMPACT DESIGN

Many boaters want a gen-set but have limited space aboard their craft. A new 5 kW diesel gen-set can solve this problem, as it boasts the shortest length of any 5 kW unit on the market.

The UCM2-5.5 gen-set from Next Generation Power Engineering features a revolutionary design similar to its recent predecessor, the 3.5kW UCM1-3.5. Unique components include Next Generation's patented, low-profile generator mounting system and Goodyear's new helical cut timing system, which combine to allow the ultra-compact size. Dimensions are just 23" long x 17' wide x 20" high, and dry weight is only 230 lbs.

A 10 hp, 2-cylinder Kubota diesel engine provides fuel-efficient power. It is freshwater cooled and completely marinized. The 60 Hz AC power it produces is enough to run any array of appliances and electronic devices, along with two typical air conditioning units. Operation speed is just 2,800 rpm, rather than the 3,600 rpm typical of high speed gen-sets. This drastically reduces noise and vibration while extending operating life.

A version is now available that is Ignition Protection Certified for use in gasoline powered vessels.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That good to know . it would be a good genset to get if you plan to convert to diesel power later . to anser the first ouestion I would not put a RV genset in a boat there not set up for marine use I don;t thnk you could safley do it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

No genset

Post by rossjo »

I'm with Buckknekkid on this one.

I'm yanking my Onan diesel genset and putting in 2 more Group 27 (I get them below cost) batteries and inverters. Easier and more reliable. I use solar panels.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17