Your opinions, what IS this boat? Year/length/hull?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would say its a safe bet to say its a Trojan 47 .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Whaever it is I will tell you this, and this comes from over 10 years running large (106 ft to 114 ft) wooden yachts. The price to buy this boat is going to be just the start of a huge money drain.

1. Insurance is going to be a pain to get
2. There will never be a quick haul, paint, and launch and these boats need a railway, not a travel lift.
3. You could be sitting on the aft deck and all of a sudden a garboard starts to leak and needs replacing. A boat that size= 8k to 10K
4. A wooden boat that is tight in the harbor will very quickly open up in rough weather, if she is not maintained to the 9's
5. I would put maintenance costs at three times that of fiberglass, and I am not talking about repairs.
6. Alot of yards will not even haul a large wooden boat anymore.

Take a look at moores marine's web page http://www.woodenboatrepair.com to get a idea of normal bottom repairs.

Please don't get me wrong, I love these old woooden boats, they have a nice warm feel about them. When you pull in everyone in the marina will come down and comment on your classic yacht, but again they are not paying for it. And for the record I wasn't paying for it either, my boss was, and he was a millionare many many times over.

Here is a video of a old one, but a well maintained one, being worked on. listen to the first words the cammeraman says-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_-0ozHL ... autoplay=1
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I will have to disagree on a few points

No problem hauling a wood boat with a travel lift unless its very poor condition . I have hauled many of them just got to know what your doing.

One of the main reasons many marinas won't haul them is a lot of folks haul them and get over whelmed and the marina gets stuck with a boat .

A sudden leak that cost 8 grand to repair ? I have a hard time with that
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

prowlersfish wrote:A sudden leak that cost 8 grand to repair ? I have a hard time with that
Well Paul, I've been there and done that and it cost alot more than 8 grand. The last one I had repaired cost just over 20K, but that was on a 114 ft yacht. What I figured for a 47 footer was 2 men at 85 per hour for 40 hours, which is 6,800 just in labor. With garboard replacement you will also have to remove part of the interior near the keel for the bolts which may or may not be a nightmare.

I will change my earlier statement from "all of a sudden" to "at a certain point" that leak will need to be fixed.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That was my point I would not think a garboard would suddenly fail on a mantaned boat . wood goes bad but not all of a sudden.

I do agree it could be very costly
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Norgee

Re: Your opinions, what IS this boat? Year/length/hull?

Post by Norgee »

Fun to see these posts from years ago on this 1973 47ft Trojan. We bought this boat last summer and it has been great! I joined this site months ago when we bought it but this is my first post. I appreciate all the tidbits of information you've shared with me these last few months. It is indeed a wood hull and it was re-powered with 1986 GM454s. Runs great and is truly a beautiful vessel. The hull numbers have confused the insurance brokers. The plate says 602-3014. The engraving on the beam in the engine bilge says NO580463. Someone said insurance would be an issue and that's proven true. The last survey was 4 years ago which came back very solid. That, and the fact I don't have many hrs under my belt on a vessel of this size, might cause me some trouble this spring getting it back in the marina. I don't know if any of the original contributors of this post are still here but I hope to learn much more from you guys. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions! I love this Forum!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the forum
Norgee wrote: The hull numbers have confused the insurance brokers. The plate says 602-3014. The engraving on the beam in the engine bilge says NO580463. !
The Trojan hull number is 602-3014 the other number "The engraving on the beam in the engine bilge says NO580463" is a USCG documentation number . should be NO. 580463 . this means the boat is or was CG documented at one time .Looking at the documentation site it has not been documented for sometime . .and for I believe $25 you can order a abstract of title from the Coast Guard . That would give you a list past owners and names while under documentation . I can post the info on where to send for it if you like .
here its what I found using that Number
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data found in current database.

Vessel Name: MY MISTRESS USCG Doc. No.: 580463
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: *
Hull Material: WOOD Hull Number: *
Ship Builder: * Year Built: 1973

Length (ft.): 47
Hailing Port: * Hull Depth (ft.): 2
Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 14.9
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 29
Documentation Issuance Date: * Documentation Expiration Date: *

Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Norgee

Post by Norgee »

Thanks for the reply! That's good information. I'll check out the USCG records. It's not just about owning something like this. If it was just about owning something, the money could be better spent, I'm sure. Much of the pleasure comes from learning about the history of such a craft and increases the joy we get from spending time on her. Every bit of information we can get adds pleasure to it all.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Norgee

Post by Norgee »

Here is my Google Photo Album link to our 47' Trojan. I'm a little intimidated by this vessel but Geico insured me so I'm optimistic that I can enjoy her now that spring has come. Got the survey done and all's good. We are looking forward to retiring and living on her in about a year.

https://goo.gl/photos/MpRoh3VhTefboG9Y6
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

the sinking of a beautiful 55' Constellation PIZAZZ one APPARENTLY awesome looking boat:

http://michiganshipwrecks.org/shipwreck ... nd/pizzazz

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp ... hichpage=2

sad story

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Just looked through your album. Wow, she is a gorgeous vessel! The wife and I looked very hard at a '69 Maritime Concorde 47' that was an all glass hull. Very similar layout and hull style, but no where near as beautiful as this wooden lady. I hope she provides many years of wonderful service as your home and cruising platform.
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Norgee wrote:Here is my Google Photo Album link to our 47' Trojan. I'm a little intimidated by this vessel but Geico insured me so I'm optimistic that I can enjoy her now that spring has come. Got the survey done and all's good. We are looking forward to retiring and living on her in about a year.

https://goo.gl/photos/MpRoh3VhTefboG9Y6
Congrats , One fine looking boat . Wood boats are great , but you need to be 100% on keeping then maintained . Being under cover helps .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

That is an awesome looking boat!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

She's a real beauty, inside and out!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's