Depth Sounder Installation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rcamaine

Depth Sounder Installation

Post by rcamaine »

I would like to install a new depth finder - as the boat did not have one when I purchased her.

I noticed what looked like 2 thru-hull transponders, but I can not tell if they are any good or not.

I was wondering if any one has done the inside mounting technique, glassing the transponder to the hull.

If so - how did it work? Also, was there a particular brand that one would recommend for this type of installation. I hate to drill another hole in the hull.

My other thought would be the transome mounted approach - but I would still need to drill a hole above the waterline to snake the wire through.

Thank you - John.
1980 36' Tri-Cabin - "Jeaga" - Maine
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Why not check the make of your existing transponders... they may still function.
Also measure the diameter of the probe... you may find that the diameter is suited for replacement with a new probe at next haul.
If you have two holes not being used it makes sense to use at least one of them rather than going another direction.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

John ,the tru hull always seen to work the best IMO, why not remove on that is there and install a new thru hull in the same hole . I have never had any luck with the shoot tru the hull type myself , others have . Transom mount may work too make sure it is clear of the prop wash.

Many good sounders can be ordered with the transducer you need . if you just go to the store they may just have the transom mounts , buying the transducer separate can be costly , so order the unit with they one you want .

Using the old ones is a gamble at best
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rcamaine

Post by rcamaine »

Thanks for the advice - I will go crawl under the tarp and check things out today - supposed to be in the high 40's here in Maine which for the middle of February is a nice surprise.
1980 36' Tri-Cabin - "Jeaga" - Maine
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Transom mounts are not typically recommended for inboard applications. Do as others have suggested, and reuse the location of existing thru-hull units. Probably time that these were rebeded anyway.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Inboard is best through a hole in the hull. My f28 had two old transducers mounted through the hull with rotten wooden fairings. The ducers did not go to any current equipment, cut the wire and removed them. Airmar makes most transducers and I am using a through the hull B744V from Airmar which will work with my equipment and using their High Speed Fairing. Airmar website shows diagrams of the best mounting location for various installations.

The hull at mount location, about 16 inche forward of my rear bulkhead is about 3/4 to 7/8 inches thick. IMO :idea: mounting in a hole through the hull will work better than shooting through the hull.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

I also had two old transducers in the hull of my boat. I was scared to mess with them. For now I attached a shoot thru on the inside bilge area of my 87 Trojan Int Express per airmar's instructions. It seems to work alright, but don't have anything to compare it to.