Engine won't start

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jlyons

Engine won't start

Post by jlyons »

I was out on the boat this weekend and the starboard engine was working great saturday night and sunday morning. Engine started fine sunday morning, went out to a cove and relaxed for about 7 hours. Went to start both engines and the starboard engine wouldn't do anything. Port engine started and ran fine, but the other wouldn't even turn over. All I could hear was the "black box" that all the wires run through from both batteries before going to the engines, make a clicking noise. Switched out both batteries and nothing happened. Each time I would hear a click but no start on the starboard engine but on the port I would hear the click and it would activate the starter and the engine would start. Anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciate. It's a 1979 F-32 with Chrysler 318's. Thanks :?:
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I'm sure you checked the ignition breaker.

Make sure the shifter is in the neutral position. Then trty wiggling it around whth the starter switch engaged.

If that doesn't work troubleshoot the neutral safety switch and the starter solenoid with a test light or VOM.

Chances are good to excellent your problem is in one of hhese areas

RWS
L'Etoile de Mer

Post by L'Etoile de Mer »

What you call the black box may be the starter... If it is the starter, then the coals inside may be locked. So take a harmer and tap it few time (not too hard but hard enough because you need to loosen the coals) Check also all the wires and make sure there is no corosion on the connection. But In my opinion that's a starter problem. It may need to be rebuilt if you do not manage to loosen the coals.
L'Etoile de Mer - 1968, 42' Sea Voyager
JuiceClark
Moderate User

hate that

Post by JuiceClark »

Mine did that once when the battery cable terminal became all cruddy...just happened all of a sudden like that. Had to cut the cable ends and re-crimp a new connection.

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36
jlyons

engine won't start

Post by jlyons »

Thanks for all the help!!! It wound up being the shift lever looked to be in neutral at the lower helm but it was slightly off. Did what RWS said and it the engine started right up. Good think about it was I went ahead and checked all the batteries and cables while I was researching what the problem could have been.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Hoo baby, been there before! Called some buddies to help tow us back when I couldn't start the engine on our F-26 (single 318). We spent the day on the hook in a remote part of one of upstate NY lakes. Luckily the cell phone signal was there. Almost at the end of the 3 HOUR tow I went in the cabin to get my wife a sweater (we were sitting on the deck) and just happened to look at the shift lever.....yup.....was in forward position. I told my wife and we decided to keep the secret to our graves!! We have good friends but not sure about their sense of humor. Glad your problem turned out to be the simple one to solve!
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Its an old thread but I believe the black box you spoke of is the emergency start relay box. Mine was poorly mounted between the batteries between the engines and the fuel/water separators. I have a switch on the lower helm which engages a relay in the box to connect the starboard and port batteries in parallel if one goes down.

Steve
Steve Gajkowski, 1979 F32 in Sodus Bay, NY
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

The emergency start relay always puts the batteries in parallel when you start either engine.

There was a big debate about this on one of the old Trojan websites, and I confirmed it in my owners manual.

The purpose for the switch is so, if the relay can't activate because one starting battery is dead, you can manually force the other battery to activate the relay. That's why there is two "on" positions- so either battery can be used.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

obeejr,
I don't have a manual set so have to take your word for it but my 79 F32 does not place the starting batteries in parallel unless the toggle switch is thrown. However, I don;t know what mods where made to the boat over the years with the last owner. Thanks for the information.

Steve
Steve Gajkowski, 1979 F32 in Sodus Bay, NY
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

There was a long thread on this in another now defunct Trojan forum. Many think that the relay only activates when the dash switch is pushed.

The reason for the dash switch is that, if you are trying to start an engine on a dead battery, the battery may not have enough strength to activate the relay. Using the switch allows you activate the relay from the good battery.

If both batteries are good, the relay activates automatically without using the dash switch.