Stainless props

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Stainless props

Post by larryeddington »

Just a query to those that might know. Outboards use stainless props, given they have a rubber center that is supposed to give if struck.

Is there a reason inboards do not use stainless other than the rubber hub protection?

Maybe they do use them but I have not found them on the net.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

For high performance, SS is great. It doesn't bend as much as other materials under load, so it keeps its shape/pitch at high speeds. There are two basic down falls to using SS; as mentioned above, they don't give, so when you hit something, you really hit, and stand a better chance of taking out the lower unit in an outboard or stern drive along with upper unit drive shaft and component damage. The other down side is one of corrosion. In the presence of aluminum, it will cause serious corrosion issues of drives and outboards, just ask folks with Bravo III drives that come with SS props. The issue has always been a problem for Merc and Volvo, enough to precipitate service bulletins. And don't get me started with folks who add SS skeg covers to thier drives for looks or a fix for a broken skeg. They tend to shear the drive off when you hit those too. The OEM skeg is designed to break away for a reason. Why specifically not on inboard apps? not sure eccept that I'd rather the prop give than something else in the drive train :shock:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

They are around but rare and costly Rolla / twin disc is one company .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thats my understanding as well D. Around here you see 50/50, my buddy was all cocky about his new 300$ SS prop until the day we were running along side each other and both hit dibree from a washed out peir. both of us had alpha one outboards. his boat is a larger fishing boat, mine ski boat, but we hit the same stuff at the same time. reguargless of angle, size, yada, yada, i lost a full fin on the prop. his looked good but he was dead in the water. I towed him home with my shaking boat. To this day he still says his prop is better. His out drive was messed up! Bent the prop shaft, he left it running and lifted it out of water and burnt the gimble up bad. Gotta love the Lynnhaven Inlet!! I dont need SS im to careless enough...IMO
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

SS on I/O s and outboards are common , Larry was referring to inboards and SS on thouse are very rare
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

yes thats what i was thinking. but i just felt i had experenced a damage situation before and i would share, I IMO would think it could happen to any boat system. I was just thinking out loud.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

so if this happenend to an I/O as bad as what a 1" by 14" prop shaft, then his fault to lift out of water and burn up the gimble. What would it do to a long striaght shaft to the tranny if you think your ok and just keep giving it throttle? Im just thinking stuff is getting real expensive real fast. im usually wrong tho, but i have to ask.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

jefflaw35 wrote:so if this happenend to an I/O as bad as what a 1" by 14" prop shaft, then his fault to lift out of water and burn up the gimble. What would it do to a long striaght shaft to the tranny if you think your ok and just keep giving it throttle? Im just thinking stuff is getting real expensive real fast. im usually wrong tho, but i have to ask.
its been years so dont qoute me on the prop shaft size, i was just remembering what i saw in ideal terms
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

wow i wish my props were $ 300.00. just brought mine for repair after removal this past weekend and both are junk. $$$$$$$$
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

yea I guess size means alot plus having 2 or 1.. I was really surprised when my f25 was pulled from the water to see such a small prop. just more things to learn for me..
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

jefflaw35 wrote:yea I guess size means alot plus having 2 or 1.. I was really surprised when my f25 was pulled from the water to see such a small prop. just more things to learn for me..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You know Jeff, the girls say size really doesn't matter :wink: Sorry guys, this was just to good an opportunity to let by, I couldn't resist. My head was saying stop but my fingers just kept typing. I will stop now.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Big D wrote:You know Jeff, the girls say size really doesn't matter :wink: Sorry guys, this was just to good an opportunity to let by, I couldn't resist. My head was saying stop but my fingers just kept typing. I will stop now.
:oops: :oops: 8) :oops: :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Im sure Larry will have a laugh!!!... wouldnt it be neat to have 2? 8) :shock:
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

here we go, an old adage "lucker than a two pxxxxxxxed billy goat"

Okay enough was just curious about the SS props and my thoughts were apparently correct, no forgivness ergo expensive things get torn up when prop hits anything but water.

Belive me SS props can get dinged too, personal experience. Brass mallet and a heavy backing hammer can fix many times.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink