F26 Window Pile Weatherstripping

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vabeach1234
Moderate User

F26 Window Pile Weatherstripping

Post by vabeach1234 »

Well, I finished replacing all the weatherstripping in my windows. I ordered the pile weatherstripping from Ultrafab. What a pain digging out all the old stuff. I went through 3 pick sets I bought from Harbor Freight. I was surprised at how much dirt and mud was in the window tracks, they were pretty much clogged the whole length of the track.

What's interesting though, is there was no starting point to insert the new weatherstripping in the tracks. I originally tried wedgeing the new stripping in with a flat headed screw driver but that was way too tedious and didn't aways work. So what I did was using a dremel, ground out a little gap in the track (someplace that wasn't critical) and was then able to feed in the new stripping.

Now the windows slide with ease.

Anyone know how to make window screen frames that aren't square or rectangular?
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

somebody somewhere must know how, I have them for my f28 and am just gonna rescreen.

IMO I would make an exact template from cardboard and go to a glass shop and have them make a screen to that specification.

I had all new ones put in my house and they had to custome make the missing ones. They were abot $20 each down here.

Your problem will be the curved corners assuming it has them and something will have to be fabricated to allow for them.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

If you're making screens for the cabin windows I'd make a template out of cardboard and then have a screen maker cut the frames out of black aluminum (or paint them black). The same maker can insert the screening or you can pick up fiberglass screening and splines at any hardware/home center. I have frames and redo the screening about every 3-4 years. The frames slide into the channel in front of the windows and are held in place with a metal offset stop (you can make one yourself) that's held in place with a set screw. I also make screens for the cockpit side windows, but made the frames out of wood cut from a cardboard template. Painted black, they fit right in the open space and help keep the bugs out when we're under canvas.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"