F26 express hollow keel..

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gopher

F26 express hollow keel..

Post by gopher »

I've seen some innovative solutions to eliminate the science experiment that grows in this chamber, but I wondered if anyone has attempted to
fill the chamber with one of those two part polystyrene liquid foam floatation kits. or the likes...?
Greg
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Hi Greg,

Filling that void would be a great idea but the problem with foam is that in time it will absorb and hold water. In earlier posts I remember someone using a 2 part epoxy with filler that aparently worked well.

Where in Southern Ontario are you?
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
gopher

Post by gopher »

Thanks

I'm in Hamilton
Greg
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

the foam is actually a two part polyurethane foam (not a polystyrene-polystyrene foams will not resist hydrocarbons-they'll melt and not approved for marine applications. what you're proposing would probably work-and the foam won't get wet if they're not subject to hydorstatic pressure (submerged in marine applications).
gopher

Post by gopher »

Thanks..
Guess it will only be subjected to bilge water internally.
Greg
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

This is just an idea but have you looked into Seacast at http://www.transomrepair.com

I just used this stuff in the transom of my 13' Dell Quay. It's pourable and if you don't add too many fibers, it will level out. Of course it will be heavier than foam, but the people at seacast says it's floats. It will bond to the inside of the boat hull and should add some rigidity.

Just a thought.

Ken
gopher

Post by gopher »

Thanks

Have not heard of this stuff yet..
Greg
thelast322

Post by thelast322 »

You could always attach a bildge keel sump pump. I installed one of these on my f32 this spring. Its a diaphram pump that takes sunction in the deepest part of the bilge. this elimanates any water in the keel.
"Liberty Call"

1991 F32 Crusaders
celebrating 10+years of ownership
gopher

Post by gopher »

How big is it?
Greg
thelast322

Post by thelast322 »

It is phyically not that big. It is 3.5 gpm Shuro Flow Diaphram pump. It can pull up to 6 feet of head. There is a inline strainer before the diaphram to eliminate any debris to enter. It was $115.
"Liberty Call"

1991 F32 Crusaders
celebrating 10+years of ownership
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

During the refitting of my 10 meter international we had the fuel tank out and determined that if we cut a large enough hole in liner we could set the rear bilge bump down lower, actually below that gap between the liner and the hull.

Now the pump is attached to the hull, below the liner and sucks up all that bilgewater that was formerly unreachable.

Don't know how this may apply to the F series, but hope it helps.

RWS
gopher

Post by gopher »

all discussion is good
Thanks
Greg
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I replaced the manual bilge pump in the hanging locker with a 12v pump and installed a pull switch for it under the bilge pump swith on the panel. Ran hoses to this pump, after installing a filter and a screen on the end of the hose. Had to cut out a larger area in the fiberglass over this hollow keel. Ran the hose into the hollow, and now I pump whenever there's some water. You'll get bilge water from the prop stuffing box so you'll always get some nominal water. I installed a dedicated auto bilge pump on the top of the hollow keel.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"