Stress cracks in fiberglass hull

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

CaptMike

Stress cracks in fiberglass hull

Post by CaptMike »

Ok so I have a 1991 10.8 Express. I have had verticle stress cracks along the chine on the port side ever since I have owned it (over the last three years)... I haven't detected any new cracks yet. The rest of the hull is clean of cracks in that area. The cracks seem to be most prominent along the two sling positions. When I bought it, I was thinking that it was stress related to improper sling position and/or improper blocking for storage. I have read too much on the internet and am wondering if I should be more worried. I didn't want to get them repaired because I figured they would just come back.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You will find these on many boats , I would not worry . most the time they are superficial .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

I wouldn't stress to much, just but I would measure them and then check them every time the boat is hauled for peace of mind.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Make sure whoever hauls your boat has some carpet and wood scraps to even out the load.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

prowlersfish wrote:You will find these on many boats , I would not worry . most the time they are superficial .
I would agree to a point. Because your hull is not balsa-cored (a whole differant issue) you probably have a cosmetic issue. Personally, I would check for high moisture readings with a moisture meter to be sure you do not have potential delamination within the fiberglass. If you do, you will need to take action. :wink: