Help me bench test a wiper motor

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jaahmez@hotmail.com

Help me bench test a wiper motor

Post by jaahmez@hotmail.com »

Hi all,

If I use a jump pack (12V)to bench test my wiper motors, which are 1984 vintage and have a single power connection, am I supposed to go positive to the connection and ground to anywhere on the motor's steel casing?

I've got a three motor set up, with three separate toggles, and none work. The fuse(s) and line(s) in are ok so I took them down to bench test them.

Thanks

James
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

go striaght to the motor wire. If it works then you know the issue is inline somewhere and not the motor. If its in the wiring then a multimeter should help you find where the problem is.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If it is a one wire connection then positive to the terminal and negative to the body. In such a case the windshield frame would act as ground so look for the ground connection to the windshield frame and ensure there is continuity.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

most times you can take those apart and sand the armature put some greese on the bushing and they will live again.. i usuaul ground the mounting ear to test but i usually clean them up first then test them. it only takes a minute or two to lightly sand the armature and fight with the brushes
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

opps but i agree test for power at the motor.
jaahmez@hotmail.com

Post by jaahmez@hotmail.com »

Thanks for the help to all. Corroded ground(s), a little clean and sand and all three work great.

Boat's been on land for 2 seasons while I restored it in my spare time. Trying to knock out a few more items before the tractor trailer trip to the travel lift next Thursday the 16th. This forum's been a big help.

James
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

sweet :!:
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

+++ on cleaning the armature, most motors respond to what I call TLC (tender loving care)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

just dont stoke to hard :wink: