I WANT TO BUY A 36 CONVERTABLE FOR FRESH WATER INPUT PLEASE

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

CAPTAIN DW

I WANT TO BUY A 36 CONVERTABLE FOR FRESH WATER INPUT PLEASE

Post by CAPTAIN DW »

FRESH WATER LAKE MICH. AM LOOKING AT MANY 36 CONVERTABLES. SALT AND FRESH. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS SITUATION. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR AND WHAT SHOULD I LOOK OUT FOR. I WAS THINKING AN OLDER MODEL TO ACHIEVE MORE DISSPLACEMENT WEIGHT SO THAT I WILL NOT BOBBLE LIKE A CORK IN 8 TO 12 FOOT SEAS. WILL BE CROSSING THE GREAT LAKES WITH MUCH FREQUENCY SOOO ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS.
rossjo
Ultimate User

12'?

Post by rossjo »

Don't get a 36 for planned excursions in 8-12' seas. I've headed offshore on purpose in 9' seas in a 56, and even thats cagey ...

I have experienced 12' seas in my 25' - and don;t EVER want to do that again!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
CAPTAIN DW

Post by CAPTAIN DW »

CAPT. ROSS THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. HOWEVER MY POINT WAS THAT I WILL ENCOUNTER SOME HEAVY SEAS FROM TIME TO TIME AND WAS WONDERING HOW WELL ON AVG. THE T36 RESPONDS. OLDER ONES, EARLY 1980'S. AS WEIGHT IS SOMEWHAT MORE THAN THE LATER ISSUES. I WOULD NOT GO LOOKING FOR 8 TO 12 FOOT SEAS BUT THEY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO FIND ME FROM TIME TO TIME. TX
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

its fine

Post by Buckknekkid »

the boat will handle 8,s head on without an issue. Forward spray rails would help. If you are in heavy seas that means wind so you need an enclosure. As for surfing down the front of 12,s I have done it with a 58 and its not fun after 4 or 5 hours. Can your crew handle it or do you have a lot of buckets?[[/color]color=green]
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

you need a bigger ship
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
CAPTAIN DW

Post by CAPTAIN DW »

FIRST MATE GETS ALITTLE GREEN. JUST HAVE TO REMIND HER TO KEEP THE VOMIT OFF THE GEL COAT. TX GUYS.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

F-36

Post by JuiceClark »

Having lived in WI, I know how different the chop is on the big lakes than on the sea. It's sloppy up there and I think the F-36 is a good hull for that. I'd bet you want a fairly sharp entry with a pretty flat bottom at the transom and a keel...that's the F-36. I know a guy in Key West with a similar hull that actually filled the keel with resin and lead shot - seems a little drastic to me but he swore by it!

The main thing you have to worry about with the F-36 is the cored decks (like most boats). I had to completely replace the flybridge deck because the boob before me put screws in it that allowed water intrusion and rot.

The only thing saltwater seems to affect on my boat is the engines that use it for cooling. But if you're crossing the lake a lot, you'll want to have a pair of Cummins diesels like some of these guys above. With the prices so damn cheap right now, you could prolly' buy a gas boat for cheap and drop a couple 6B Cummins in there and for twenty years. The old steel gas tanks should go too.

I think it's the same with any boat, but it's the little stuff that really added up for me. Trim tab pump, other pumps like the macerator, shower sump and 4 bilge pumps, new electrical stuff, nicer hardware, modern electronics, new motor for the windlass, upolstery, etc., etc., etc., is what most of my boat budget went for. I think the new floor inside the boat, the new flybridge deck, and the new helm up top all added up to less $$ than my new GPS!

Tony in Ft Myers, FL
1982 F-36
CAPTAIN DW

Post by CAPTAIN DW »

JUICECLARK, YOUR ORIGINALLY A GREAT LAKES GUY. SO YOU KNOW HOW THE SEAS ARE HERE. THATS WHY I WAS THINKING GOING OLDER WITH AN F36 TO ACHIEVE MORE DISPLACEMENT WEIGHT, SORT OF LIKE THE OLD DAYS. THE DIESELS WOULD ADD ADDITIONAL WEIGHT, ADD THE GEN { THAT YOU TOOK OUT} AND I WOULD ASSUME THAT SHE WOULD BE MORE STABLE, YOU THINK?
JuiceClark
Moderate User

freshwater

Post by JuiceClark »

Yeah, moved down here when just a kid but I still go up to WI and fish out on Lake Michigan with my Dad and brother. If funny how different fresh water seems because of it's lighter weight. It's sloppier...more splashy and the seas pick up faster when a storm rolls in.

I'm not sure more weight would help if you're at planing speed. With a pretty flat hull, it might even make it bang harder. With a deep V, like Bertram or Hatt, the weight is important...but?

I took the genny out because I'd never use it. But I have 100 gallons of fresh water capacity...so that's 700+ pounds when full. You can always add more weight (bags of sand or whatever or extra fuel tanks, etc), it's losing it that's tough.

TC