transmission to prop shaft disconnect question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rspecops

transmission to prop shaft disconnect question

Post by rspecops »

Ok I have taken the 4 bolts that seem to connect prop shaft coupler to transmission flange or coupler off. The prop shaft is not coming loose from transmission. I also completely loosened stuffing box. Prop was removed for transport and I can not rotate prop shaft by hand. I am wanting the prop shaft disconnected so I can briefly put transmission in gear when I do my every couple weeks crankup on the engine while boat is blocked up out of water for renovation projects. One other thing I have checked and there is no set screw on prop shaft coupler. May be a key I have not found but no set screw. This is on a B/W velvet drive with Crusader 350. Transmission is straight or direct drive 1:1.
rspecops

Post by rspecops »

trying to insert picture[img][img]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u42 ... f19c5a.jpg[/img][/img]
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Try tightening the packing nut down just enough to give space between the coupler and the packing nut so there is room enough for the shaft to slide back. There is no key on the coupler itself, only on the prop shaft/coupler half and the output shaft of the tranny/coupler.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

It appears the shaft log hose is too long. I would think you'd want some shaft exposed just after the coupler. That way the shaft can slid aft and also you can ajust the packing nut and change the packing down the road.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

vabeach1234 wrote:It appears the shaft log hose is too long. I would think you'd want some shaft exposed just after the coupler. That way the shaft can slid aft and also you can ajust the packing nut and change the packing down the road.

Looking at the photo I agree
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rspecops

Post by rspecops »

The shaft log hose being too long, yep that is got to be it. I thought this configuration looked a little strange compared to some I saw pictures of. I have plenty of shaft log hose to work with. I will start by cutting a couple inches back. Just so I am clear, obviously there is no set screw on the prop shaft coupler to secure the coupler to shaft. But there will be something like a woodruff key on prop shaft to secure shaft to coupler???
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Mine has a set screw and woodruff key. Yes, it must at least be keyed which I'm sure you will see when you remove it.

You should also rotate the clamps so the screws are 180 degrees apart as opposed to right next to each other.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Bob, are you refering to the key on the shaft to the coupler?

On my boat the Velvet drives and the Twin Disc's have a centering ring the couplings, one side is female the other is male, and it is a pretty close fit, so this may be what is temporarly holding these couplings together. the lip is about 1/8 or 1/16th of an inch.

also agree that the shaft log hose is much long
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

here are few photos of the shaft coupler and you can see the centering ring

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My bet the centering ring, mine was pretty tight when took it apart, but you do need some room to slide shaft back.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

larryeddington wrote:My bet the centering ring, mine was pretty tight when took it apart, but you do need some room to slide shaft back.
Most of the pressed on couplers have set screws as well my pics of couplers and removal.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ht=coupler
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Am I the only one thinking the obvious? While it does seem your shaft/shaft log clearances could be improved... this seems like quite a project in order to excersize your gears on the hard.

It seems much simpler to put some good lubricant on the shaft/cutlass bearing and a little on the shaft/packing union for the short bits of dry running you will do. I think it's a great idea to run the equipment once in a while on the hard but the shaft spinning would be less worrisome to me than impellers and exhaust hose damage.... and even these would be fine with short bits of dry running.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Noticed the locking jam nut is not against the packing nut, baybe was maybe not, if not it should be to keep everything water tight.

I would be interested to see how whoever put that together got it all in there with so little slack. :?
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
rspecops

Post by rspecops »

Thanks again for the responses and advise. Been around boats all my life but this is the very first inboard engine I have owned. I am learning as I go and have learned a great deal from you guys. I am going to replace cutlass bearing and restuff packing box as part of my renovations. I unscrewed the jam nut from packing nut to just see if that would loosen things a bit. I also thought how in the world was this ever put in with the seemingly non existence slack in the system.