Chrysler 318 Oil Pan Removal?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

riproaringca

Chrysler 318 Oil Pan Removal?

Post by riproaringca »

Hi all. I've had some luck removing the bolts along the side of my 318's oil pan in order to replace the gaskets. It's a bit of a contortionist's act to get at them while the motor's in the boat, but it's do-able.

I have yet to figure out how the bolts on the back end of the oil pan are removed. I discovered that there are two nuts found on a long, threaded shaft that leads through the transmission bell housing and to the cast oil pan. There is one nut on each side of the bell housing on this threaded shaft. I was able to loosen both on the port side, BUT I still don't understand how this is able to free the oil pan.
Has anyone ever taken an oil pan off of the motor whether it was in the boat or perhaps outside of the hull during an overhaul?

So far I've been going only by 'feel' not sight. My next step is to get under the deck and try to get a look at what I'm working on. Sounds like a logical first step, I know. But stuffing myself down there isn't my first choice if someone can help out with my questions listed above! :wink:
1969 28' Trojan Sea Skiff Express
318 Chrysler 200HP
-----------------------
Chemong Lake, Trent-Severn Waterway
Ontario, Canada